Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

1) drives the caliber to 6.5 or bigger realistically.
2) drives optic choice
3) is incredibly limiting. In todays market, $1000-$1500 is a sweet spot for optics. There are decent bargains like the pst gen2 for $700 at MidwayUSA right now or the Minox 3-18FFP (MRAD reticle) Rifles under $1000 just aren't what the used to be. Generally sub-$1000 really gives up on stock and trigger. This drove my selection getting a better Stock, Trigger and Action at the expense of a faster caliber. The 400 yd animal limit allows this.
5) I would do it for him. This is an opportunity to drop his Binkey and step up. He should get some decent Hornady match dies, Lapua or Peterson brass, Barnes bullets and give it a go. Let him use your stuff and teach.
7) what does this mean? People always say they can handle recoil. I guess I cannot. I find hours behind an unbraked magnum punishing! I much prefer something a bit smaller or with a brake.

Barreled action:

Stock:

Scope:

I agree that the 6.5 PRC or 6.8 Western offer a bit more, but in today's market, those calibers are commanding a premium.

My wife and I have been "one gun hunters" since the early '90's. If you're only killing steel and paper at extended ranges, you may be interested in something like my wife's cartridge....the .338 WM.

She's taken deer/antelope, bear, elk, and moose .....with some at just over 400 yards.

If you shop, you should be able to find a good, light to medium weight .338 WM and a scope for under $1500.00

A good selection of factory ammo available, easy to load for and a great choice for someone not "recoil timid"! Uncertain of recoil with a brake.....wife doesn't use a brake! memtb
That is one fine woman you have , I am impressed ! Good for you and give the Mrs my regards !

300 WM gets it done, but realistically, doubt $1500 does it at 1000 yards without work, but sounds like he just wants to fool around at those ranges anyway. Without serious target work, Tikka T3, Leupold VX3 HD, maybe even < $1500. IMHO Vortex has a great warranty, but needs it; all lines have failures, but my local smith has seen more failures with Vortex than other brands.

Oh, wait lol. Just saw this:

7mm mag or 280 AI. I prefer the AI. Like Creedmoor shooter said a 6.5 PRC would be good as well.
Savage with the accufit or Tikka would be my choice for the rifle I lean Savage.
Scope if there is money left a Vx-5HD or a Zeiss V4 conquest if you can find a deal.
+1 on the 280 AI

7mm mag or 280 AI. I prefer the AI. Like Creedmoor shooter said a 6.5 PRC would be good as well.
Savage with the accufit or Tikka would be my choice for the rifle I lean Savage.
Scope if there is money left a Vx-5HD or a Zeiss V4 conquest if you can find a deal.
Second this opinion!!!

+1 - 280 AI

The tall order is the $1500 for the scope and rifle..2,000 is a lot more doable budget especially with good rings and decent quality scope. I'd look for a good 338 win mag on the used rack..as they are usually under valued and not "shot out"

Or

Something like this:

Vanguard for $800 or old Winchester push feed 700-900
Bases and rings: $170
Scope: element helix $450- will get him to 1000 but I hate the uncapped turrets and don't know about the long term overall quality. I have a Nexus(their high end) and shot over a titan and it seemed very good quality too…

Leupold VX3 HD CDS…will get him to 600 with its one turn of its turret—but with in budget and quality scope.$750

Takes One of the big 300s to talk at 1200 reliably with factory ammo and only if you happen to get the right gun and ammo combo.
I shoot everything with a 308. People laugh and say I can't do it but results over time can't just be luck. Although the 308 won't get you to 1200 reliably. However, ammo is usually around for it and at 1000 it's still pretty good.
Food for thought.