Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

@Tidus56 and @Creedmoor shooter : 7mm Mag is pretty dang hard to beat, but I don't see any factory rifles that have enough twist for my taste. I looked at some factory ammo options, and 2200 fps at 400 yds is not a sure thing, although there's some get you there with some room to spare (e.g. Barnes LRX). Even reloading, with a 1:9.5 twist, you can't take advantage of the mid-weight Hammer Hunters.

@WWP2012 regarding paper and steel, it would just be some fun plinking (and wind practice) in a big wheat field. 1 MOA is sufficient, which I think most decent factory rifles will do. Without me to motivate him, I doubt he'll be doing it otherwise, so I'd almost certainly be hand loading all his target ammo.

Regarding 6.5 PRC, I consider it to be the "bare minimum" to achieve #1, as we're both "more than enough gun" kinda guys. With copper bullets, I just don't like the energy levels at 400 yds for elk. By no means saying it's not doable, I just like to see 2200 fps and 1500 ftlbs or more. Also, I only see 2 factory options in copper (Nosler E-Tip 120 gr, and Barnes 127 LRX). Definitely a contender though.

@memtb I think 338WM is a bit more than needed. He already has an old Winchester 670 in 300WM. It shoots OK, but he's looking for something a little more modern, and is excited about just "getting a new rifle".

@Shane Lindsey No doubt the old 06 will get her done, but IMO, the 7mm will do everything it will and more. Economy and rifle/ammo options are unparalleled though.
It sounds like for the budget 300 Win Mag is the answer if 7mag won't cut it. Maybe 300WSM. 28 Nosler and all the Weatherby's and RUMs won't have the factory ammo selection you are requiring. Maybe just go 28Noz and concede you will have load his ammo for life.

@Muddyboots

LOL. Let's not be too hasty. Some on your list are definitely still contenders. 280 AI is a sweet cartridge, but I think factory ammo options might be a bit thin.

@Creedmoor shooter Economy isn't actually a "must". He's not gonna be firing a ton of rounds, and I'll likely be reloading for him. Factory hunting ammo is a must though. That said, I'm hoping to get him into shooting more, so of course cheaper is better.

I'll look at those Brownings. Perhaps a deal can be had, or a used one might come up, but $1100 is probably a no-go.

To all. I'm just playing devil's advocate, to help narrow down the list. As we all know, there's no such thing as a "PERFECT" cartridge for everything. I understand some compromises will have to be made.

All so far have been good suggestions. Keep them coming.

Agree with 7RM. I wish I had a faster twist in mine (9.5). However, it handles 168 gr Bergers with no stabilization issues. Hammers will limit you to light or mid-weight, but the will sure be screaming in the velocity world. Finding a good quality scope and new rifle will be a little bit challenging on an all in $1500 budget. It can be done.

I suggest a new or maybe a used Savage in any flavor including the AXIS....yes the older/original AXIS in 06. I'm still pushing what hits all the parameters....x100......in my feeble brain. Edit....Leupold VX3 or Burris Signature in the power range he prefers.

Last edited:
No problem; Wby MkV .340 Wby Mag or similar.
1640638772302.png

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
It is good to have dreams, but thing is we have to wake up...tell him to reduce expectations and he will be happy. Correction, manage expectations, to be PC

280 AI or 300 win mag. The Ackley flat out gets it done! 30 cals are my favorite, but some folks struggle with recoil so 7mm is the perfect ungulate caliber. Excellent choice of bullets and can go heavy enough to tackle big elk and moose. Those 175 to 195 grainers do work and really cut wind for steel and paper. 140 Absolute Hammers at 3300+ drop anything at 400 yds.

Last edited:
280 AI or 300 win mag. The Ackley flat out gets it done! 30 cals are my favorite, but some folks struggle with recoil so 7mm is the perfect ungulate caliber. Excellent choice of bullets and can go heavy enough to tackle big elk and moose. Those 175 to 195 grainers do work and really cut wind for steel and paper. 140 Absolute Hammers at 3300+ drop anything at 400 yds.
I am curious, what fast twist 300 WM with decent scope to hit 1200 you can have for $1500.

We don't even use fast twist 300's and three of us shoot out to 1000 and 1200 on steel with our 300 wm for fun. Stock Browning x bolt long range. My Browning A-bolt has trigger work, bedding and my brothers Savage has trigger and bedding. 208 eld-m handloads and trigger time. We just dial and shoot. Not setting any group records by any means but these are hunting rifles and just practice. Scopes Vortex Diamondback Tactical. Might be little over $1500 on my buddies X-bolt. But the Savage was $800 and my A-bolt Stainless Stalker was like $750.

We don't even use fast twist 300's and three of us shoot out to 1000 and 1200 on steel with our 300 wm for fun. Stock Browning x bolt long range. My Browning A-bolt has trigger work, bedding and my brothers Savage has trigger and bedding. 208 eld-m handloads and trigger time. We just dial and shoot. Not setting any group records by any means but these are hunting rifles and just practice. Scopes Vortex Diamondback Tactical. Might be little over $1500 on my buddies X-bolt. But the Savage was $800 and my A-bolt Stainless Stalker was like $750.
Thats the catch, $1500 for rifle and scope. The fast twist comment was to shoot the hammers well.