Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

Hammers, I shoot 181's. Wouldn't shoot them at 1200 yds ha. Probably be 40+ moa. But they kill game out to 600 no issues there. He's gonna have a tough time shooting copper past 1000 with a big brand OEM rifle.

@memtb I think 338WM is a bit more than needed. He already has an old Winchester 670 in 300WM. It shoots OK, but he's looking for something a little more modern, and is excited about just "getting a new rifle".
Sell what he has and get a new 300WM, then.
If you're going "one gun" I'd start at a 30 caliber and only go up.

I would sell you a Vanguard in 300 WSM and you'd have plenty of $ left for optics. 😁

If you are talking anything from deer to cape buffalo I would take a 375 H&H.I worked up a load with a 220 gr hornady flat nose going 3100 fps using 72 grs of IMR4064 that shoots 1 inch at 200 yards I have taken deer and black bear with them I have loads with up to 350 gr bullets To me the 375 H&H is a do everything gun

Last edited:
I'm a water guy. I've been a water guy since I could crawl, and have some what of a reputation of the man with answers when it comes to boats and motors and water gear. I try to hunt underwater as much as I do in the woods.
Without fail, several times a year an acquaintance or friend asks me….
Man, I wanna buy me a boat, what do I need to do blah blah blah blah whatever.
My answer is always the same. There is no 1 perfect boat. You can't fish for bluegills in the backwater today and go 50 miles offshore tomorrow in the same boat…..efficiently or safely.

Same principle applies to guns.

Sorry. But it is what it is.

I bet you could get one of the PTG Rem 700 barreled actions in 30/06 and get it finished with a VX freedom or Vortex for 1500 if you shopped the classifieds here. I am at just over 900 with a trigger tech primary, DBM, & machine work on the 3 I've done. Cerakote and B&C stock will take me to 1300ish leaving 200 for a cheaper optic that can be upgraded later.

That set up could be a do all gun that would easily hit at 1200 with hand loads.

I have a buddy with same scenario. My suggestion is a howa 300 prc and run small hammers for deer. Just a vortex venom( I think it's called?) It's they're new $3-400 scope. Easy rebarrel and aftermarket support. Had 4 300 win mags through the years and that would be my next choice

OK so I'll be the noob here...why is .30-06 recommended clearly over .308? I truly don't know and not causing a beef. Is it that much better at long range?
Two words...Carlos Hathcock. Honestly my only guess is in order to utilize high BC long range bullets the 06 can propel at a higher velocity. A 308 with a 200 grain slug is gonna be 2450 fps and require a little more dial up. Might be better off with a 155 Scenar or 168 Berger and let er rip. It can be done.

Bam...with enough left over for a scope and he stays in budget.

I'm gonna be the oddball out and suggest 270 win. AI it if you want more room to play. Obviously no factory for the AI so that may be a no go. 270 win with a hammer hunter would be great out past 400, especially on deer. I would think that even elk and moose would succumb to this combo.