Buddy wants one rifle for everything...?

Currently if I grab a rifle and not a muzzle loader (I hunt mostly with a McWhorter XML45) I am grabbing a 300 WSM or a 300 Win Mag. I have never hunted elk or Moose but those are in a different class than a whitetail. While the 6.5PRC will certainly kill elk and moose, if I were going on a hunt for either specifically I would never grab a 6.5 but instead would grab a 300 of something.

Find a used remington 700 300 winmag 5r milspec threaded muzzle. Add a muzzle break and it pleasant to shoot....you can reload from 110gr to 220gr...will be adequate for all north american game. It has excellent stock and factory ammo is readily available.
Mine shoots one inch groups all day long.

300wm.

But truth be told if I started with the 7rm I own now, I would never have bought the preceding rifles I own including the 300wm. If I owned one rifle I would never get a caliber I felt like I had to hand load for or couldn't get a box of ammo at the hardware store or Walmart. Peoples lives change because of unforeseen events in the family and just like that there is no time to hand load or do more than hunt after work.

With patience he can find an affordable rifle and scope as the latest greatest culture goes for the next new model and wonder caliber. I have no brand loyalty but if he likes to sit around and cycle his rifle, tikka and browning are pretty smooth. If he likes the barrel swap option savage use to be the go to. I don't know what there current barrel nut status is. I got howa friends but I've never checked their guns out. Just saying there's affordable options out there.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
Tikka T3X Blued 7mm rem mag or 7mm-08 with Vortex crossfire II 6-24x50 with scorpion bi-pod. Should be close to $1500. Might even have a few $ left over for some ammo lol

IMHO, 1200yds rules out 30-06, AI and is a stretch for several others mentioned. Plain, old 300Win mag will do all that and then some. And with some work can likely find one in the price range.
1200 yds isn't a stretch for a 30-06 I've shot at that distance and then some with mine never had an issue, you get better ballistics than a .308.

1) All ungulates to 400 yds (deer mostly, but elk, moose, etc will almost certainly be tackled occasionally).

2) Steel and paper to 800 plus (occasionally out to 1200 just for giggles on big targets).

3) $1500 for scope and rifle.

4) Factory rifle most likely (see #3).

5) I'll load for him, perhaps indefinitely, but reasonably common factory ammo is a must.

6) He only hunts with lead free. So it needs to have a good factory option in copper (see #5). He's cool with slinging lead at paper/steel, but verboten on animals.

7) He can handle recoil, but I'd like to steer him towards "a bit more than minimum" that will get the job done, so a factory rifle with a brake is a high priority, but not a deal breaker.

So...

Rifle?

Scope?

Cartridge?

I have my own opinions, but would love to hear from the peanut gallery. Just stay in the lane. None of the above 7 points can be violated and keep him happy. He's not a high volume shooter, but I'd like to push him that direction, so keep economy in mind too.
Rifle - Bergara Wilderness Ridge
Scope - Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16
Cartridge - 7mm RM or 30-06

I've got a 270 that covers all my bases, but those two I listed give a little more margin of error I'd think on a moose. Inside 400 yards though… might be fine too 👌
They're all simple components to source too, so you can shoot more!

I'm a little surprised the 6.8 Western hasn't been mentioned.
That said, I'd bargain shop for a .300 WM that shoots, and blow my budget for a good optic. In fact the budget is the tough part of this. An Arken optic is my recommendation for budget minded people, and probably a Tikka.

I have a M70 in .300WM that isn't fancy wearing a Steiner with knobs that shoots plenty good, but the optic is money. It's my long range toy, but doesn't fall in budget.