Brux - how do they do that?

Engineering101

So I get this new varmit contour Brux barrel in 22-250 Rem with an 8 twist to be used for prairie dogs and such out past 400 yards. I swap the barrel onto one of my Savage Model 12 short actions, load up some 80 grain Match Kings and head to the range. Starting with a clean cold bore it shoots the attached 3-shot group at 200 yards. I thought I had missed the paper on shots 2 and 3 for obvious reasons as it looks like only one bullet hole from that far away. I am embarrassed to say that I know very little about Brux barrels even though I now have two of them. Both barrels shoot really good. Also both barrels pick up zero copper no matter how many rounds you put through them. I'm thinking one of those things may lead to the other or vice versa. My question to all of the Brux afficianados - how do they do that? What is different about Brux that they pick up no copper ever? My factory barrels won't do that nor will any of 3 other custom brands including my Kriegers. What gives?

Attachments

• brux 22-250 80 grain match king.jpg
    brux 22-250 80 grain match king.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 149
So I get this new varmit contour Brux barrel in 22-250 Rem with an 8 twist to be used for prairie dogs and such out past 400 yards. I swap the barrel onto one of my Savage Model 12 short actions, load up some 80 grain Match Kings and head to the range. Starting with a clean cold bore it shoots the attached 3-shot group at 200 yards. I thought I had missed the paper on shots 2 and 3 for obvious reasons as it looks like only one bullet hole from that far away. I am embarrassed to say that I know very little about Brux barrels even though I now have two of them. Both barrels shoot really good. Also both barrels pick up zero copper no matter how many rounds you put through them. I'm thinking one of those things may lead to the other or vice versa. My question to all of the Brux afficianados - how do they do that? What is different about Brux that they pick up no copper ever? My factory barrels won't do that nor will any of 3 other custom brands including my Kriegers. What gives?

I don't know, but I hope it continues when I get my .277 barrel in a few weeks. They must have done a superior job of lapping!......Rich

barrelnut

Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply chambered both barrels however I'm not buying that doing a good chamber job can totally eliminate a barrel picking up copper. What about the rest of the barrel? That is done by the barrel maker. And in the case of Brux the difference is dramatic. In my first Brux barrel (7mm WSM) when I first noticed this I didn't clean the barrel on purpose just to see how far it would go. I got up to 75 rounds and still NO COPPER coming out when cleaned and that chambering is not exactly tame. There is some pressure and velocity there. Brux must be doing something unusual as it is the only barrel that even comes close to this.

That's right he sells those doesn't he. Never done business with him.

Maybe Brux does the best lapping job out there. :D I have a Bartline that seems to just need a couple patches of Butch's Bore Shine and it's good to go and that's after about 75 rounds.

There is something to be said for a good chamber job and the accuracy you're seeing from that Brux barrel though.

My Brux doesn't pick up much copper either, Berger or Barnes. Takes 50 shots to get it to transfer to a patch.

Sat down with Frank at Bartlien barrels with some of those question. He took me to look at my 375 barrels I had bought. We use his bore scope. He showed me how they will not let a barrel go till it pass that inspection. He showed me barrels that need more lapping till his guys are happy. Now there can be probelms. He had said once they had a bad patch of steel. They could not get them to work at all.

So with that said I would assume Brux has the same Inspection process going for them. Also that type of care with a rifle barrel would make me want to buy it. I may add I never have compared the lands and groves of all the barrel maker out there. This would include all bore types for each caliber.

Now days you can almost make the lands and grooves to fit your needs. Plus twists ! ! Some guys can, but like Bartlien you think of it they will in good reason to help out. Yeah even the crazy stuff.

It is great to see barrel companies holding to a higher standard, to help all areas of shooting.

Oh I am sure one phone call to them also would answer any doubts.

Sorry for the long wind. Only what I have thought about.

barrelnut

Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply chambered both barrels however I'm not buying that doing a good chamber job can totally eliminate a barrel picking up copper. What about the rest of the barrel? That is done by the barrel maker. And in the case of Brux the difference is dramatic. In my first Brux barrel (7mm WSM) when I first noticed this I didn't clean the barrel on purpose just to see how far it would go. I got up to 75 rounds and still NO COPPER coming out when cleaned and that chambering is not exactly tame. There is some pressure and velocity there. Brux must be doing something unusual as it is the only barrel that even comes close to this.

I wasn't saying that.

I was trying to make the point that there are several factors that make a barrel shoot great.

A good barrel is a good start. Brux is one of the best. As you've noticed.

A good threading and chambering job is just as important as the quality of the barrel.

Mikecr

Thanks for the comment. It got me to thinking why not call up Brux and ask them so I did. I talked to Ken. He indicated that it is indeed their lap job that allows no copper pickup and it is a point of emphasis with them on every barrel. So.. if you add a good chamber job to a good barrel you get something that will both shoot and is easy to clean.

My Lilja 1:8" 3-groove does not copper foul easily either.

I have four or five that don't foul easily either. I think most custom barrel makers that hand lap their barrels, to remove all internal tooling marks, should have very minimal fouling.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.