Browning X-Bolt, your opinion?

I succumbed and have been running an A bolt Stainless stalker in .325wsm.

Very accurate and cracks 3060 fps with the factory Ballistic Tip 180's.. (around 1 inch) Handloads are better 1/2 moa if you let the barrel cool.

After fitting a Limbsaver pad and installing a new trigger spring I have a lovely rifle that absoloutley hammers.

I have changed my mind on teh A bolt....acyually the build and receiver metal used looks superior to the X bolt.. Mind you the A bolt has been around a while and is sort of old school which I like.

Last stag I shot was just under 400 yards and yes the A bolt with 195gn Hornady pills hit home and penetrated all the way through. Sambar are a large solid deer

I dont know why some knock the .325wsm its a superb medium/large game round and that 8mm pill performs.

Though I have never shot the Tikka T3, I will give you my opnion on the X-bolt so you can compare it to any replies you get on the T3.

I own an X-bolt in 7mm RM and with any off the shelf hunting rifle it is hit or miss whether or not you get a shooter. I believe I did. Being that I also have been rolling my own ammo for a little over 25 years for a number of calibers, I definitly have an edge over someone who doesn't. In my experience over the years with new rifles the break-in procedure is key. That coupled with a stridgent cleaning regiment makes all the difference in the world as far as accuracy goes. Break-in on my rifle consisted of 40 rounds of Vital shock ammo that impressed the s%#t out of me. I had a good feeling right from the start to say the least. I managed to work up several loads with various bullets, powders, primers, & cases. So far the Browning shoots an amazing 0.122 "CTC" 5 group shot on average consistantly with one load and with a couple others not far behind. Rearly a flier unless it's from a cold clean barrel or I didn't do my part. Rifle seems not to fussy with 63.5 to 64.0 grn of a couple different powders / bullet combinations it likes best. Must be the magic grain wieght for this rifle. Velocity right about 2930 fps.

Don't care much for the trigger pull set a little over 3 lbs from the factory. I like all my rifles at a smigg over 1 lbs because it gives me the best accuracy with my off hand shooting style so thats gonna change. The rifle is sleek and light and the 60% bolt rise is kick *****. I plan on blue printing the action and lapping the lugs to 100%. I also like the fact the mag chambers the rounds from the center and is long enough for a bullet to be seated right to the lands with room to spare if thats what it likes. Browning was thinking there! I found mine likes the bullets I use .050 off the lands. The three lug bolt is also a good feature.

Not sure if your looking to buy one or not, but if you are and you do, I have a couple of recipes you could try if you reload. If not the Vital shock's looked good out of mine.

I am as intereted as you are how others like the Tikka.

WRG

Hi, I just bought a Browning Xbolt in 7m Mag, could you direct me to a reload recipie, as I reload and looking for a starter on this, Thanks.

Hi, I just bought a Browning Xbolt in 7m Mag, could you direct me to a reload recipie, as I reload and looking for a starter on this, Thanks.
I recommend the Berger 168 VLD's, since your rifle has a 1:9.5 twist. I've tried every 180gr bullet they make and my A-Bolt II 7mmRM just won't shoot them. But it loved the 168's before the barrel went south. However, it's fixing to get revived with a new barrel, for my lightweight hunting rifle. I decided to tear down my new Rem 700 7mm RM lightweight hunter, and turn it into my .300 Ackley Magnum for LR targets and deer hunting. And turning down the shank and tennon of the new 7mm RM barrel off the Rem, and putting it on my A-Bolt II (recycling new(ish) parts sometimes makes for a nice inexpensive build).

I have had great luck with Hodgdon H1000 powder, and IMR 7828 SSC powder.

I recommend you buy a reloading manual for each brand of bullets you plan on shooting (they range from $20-30 usually), and DON'T believe everything you read on reloader's nest, or on the internet when it comes to load data. Each individual gun is different as to where it starts showing pressure signs, because no 2 chambers are perfectly alike. I recommend reading those manuals cover-to-cover and learning all you can about your caliber. It will make you a better handloader.

I only have a sample of one in .223. The trigger is a little heavier than I like but breaks very cleanly.
It is the first factory rifle I have had that I can frequently shoot .5" 5 shot groups with. I don't do much better with my heavy barreled barreled 6.5x47 Lapua for that matter. Hope that helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.