Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Review

My first big game rifle that I purchased was an A-Bolt composite in 30-06. I am now on my third A-Bolt. It is chambered in 300 WSM with a 20" factory barrel. Very lightweight and accurate. It will eventually get re-chambered with either a 270 WSM or a 7mm WSM custom barrel, but it is shooting so good right now that I can't bring myself to change things up yet.

I also have a couple Rem 700's and several customs. I like them as well, but none have ever provided me with the custom fit and feel of the factory browning A-Bolt. Maybe it is just how my body is configured, but when I pick up an A-Bolt it just becomes part of my arm. There will always be one in the safe.

Hey All-

I've been reading LRH for many years but haven't really posted all that much. Over the past 6 months I decided to buy a dedicated LRH rifle for hunting, mostly whitetails, pronghorn and possible elk. I have spent a lot of time reading and researching and finally decided on a Browning X-Bolt Long Range Hunter in 270WSM.

I know from doing a lot of reading that most die-hard LRH folks are either Remington or Savage or Custom owners. I too have owned a few Remingtons and a Savage 10FP in 308. I have never laid down the cash for a true custom rifle, but maybe some day soon.

I understand all the advantages to the Remmy/Savage rifles when it comes to aftermarket parts/upgrades but there wasn't anything in either camp that really drew me.

My criteria was it had to be in the 8-10lbs fully outfitted, semi-flat shooting, and not too bad on recoil. The big magnums were not something I am really all that interested in.

I looked at 700P, 700SPS, 700 5R, Savage Long Range, and the Browning X-Bolt LRH. I obviously ended up with the X-Bolt.

The rifle is in 270WSM and wears a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50. The stock rifle comes with a 26" medium weight barrel. The stock is the standard X-Bolt composite stock with dura-touch which i really like. Not the best stock in the world but seems to be fine for now.

I took it to the range yesterday with all factory ammo:
Winchester 150gr. BST
Federal 130gr Trophy Copper
Federal 140gr Trophy Bonded

All of it shot pretty well, around 1 MOA at 100 yards. The best was by far the Winchester. It was shooting around .5-.75" with the best group being .535".

Overall I really like this rifle. It shoots well, the recoil isn't terrible, and it is heavy enough but not too heavy. It has a few nice factory features such as a recessed target crown on the barrel and a bedded stock/action.

Enjoy the pics.

The Japanese make a good rifle.

Think about pillar bedding your X-Bolt. Plastic can compress giving uneven torque on the two action bolts.I did it on my A-Bolt with the synthetic stock, plus a bit of glass bedding as well.

Comparing your X-Bolt to a Weatherby Vanguard or Tikka Hunter I'd still take the X-Bolt.

I'm looking at getting one of these in a WSM. Why are people choosing the 270 over the 300? It seems like 30 cal has the most bullet selection by a wide margin? Bot the 270 is getting the attention. If anyone could comment on that, it would help me.

Thanks

I'm looking at getting one of these in a WSM. Why are people choosing the 270 over the 300? It seems like 30 cal has the most bullet selection by a wide margin? Bot the 270 is getting the attention. If anyone could comment on that, it would help me.

Thanks

Good point. I'm gonna guess that it's about the 300 mag making a significant amount of recoil. And the 270 making much less.

It seems that some of the hunting / stalking guys use the 270 wsm and get their animals. This irks the target shooting guys no end. Just ask 'em. And get some popcorn ready :D

That's my thought too, glad to get a refresher, 300 WSM for me. I have so many rifle calibers, I just don't buy the 270 at all these days. I think it got it's jump years ago when a famous hunter used it quite a bit (Jack XXXX?). There are virtually No bullets with high BC for it. I'd guess there are 90% more in 30 cal. The selection is enormous, after the miltary went to 308. 30-06, 308, 300 win mag 300 savage, etc. all the variant and bc selection's from 100 grain to 240 I believe? If you don't have a 30 cal barrel lying around, good time to put one away. I read the 270 stuff years ago and was intrigued but I doubt it is even close to a 6.5x284 or even a 260 rem? If you want less kick and lower bullet weight and you are just hunting, maybe a 6.5x55. Let's face it, all will take the animal down. The government adopted, 30-06, 308, 5.56 and now 338. It seems those calibers will always have the kind of volume to keep the bullet makers happy. Devolpement of bullets always ends up a numbers game.

I wouldn't sell a 270 or 270wsm. But when and if it comes time to re-barrel, it wouldn't be my first choice. I guess I'm gonna concentrate on a 300 WSM for now.

No offense intended...

I have two .300 Win mag rifles and they don't recoil much more than a 30-06.

My Browning A-Bolt has a BOSS adjustable (for accuracy reasons) muzzle brake. IT does help reduce recoil.

I only have 1 Abolt right now, intrigued about the Xbolt. What do you think, a, a2, a3 or the new x in 2014.

Anyone can chime in here, I read the x bolt in the maple/black stock looked kind of cool and they have it in 300WSM. It is a limited run. It's a 2 tone fiberglass or synthetic stock, a bit different. It won't be my main rifle but I want to load the 300 WSM cartridge.

I only have 1 Abolt right now, intrigued about the Xbolt. What do you think, a, a2, a3 or the new x in 2014.

Anyone can chime in here, I read the x bolt in the maple/black stock looked kind of cool and they have it in 300WSM. It is a limited run. It's a 2 tone fiberglass or synthetic stock, a bit different. It won't be my main rifle but I want to load the 300 WSM cartridge.

I wouldn't take a free A3, and prefer the A2 over the X... I've had two A2's in 7mmRM, and they were both great shooters and awesome hunting rifles.

The A3 has now made the A-Bolt series their budget and beginner cheap rifles. Therefore the quality is NOT A-Bolt quality, and they're relying on the A-Bolt & A-Bolt II's reputations to push sales. Which is why I wouldn't own one. The X-Bolt just doesn't have hardly any aftermarket at all. As long as the A-Bolts have been around, they still have hardly any aftermarket accessories. But still more than the X's do...

That is the issue with Browning that always has to be wrestled with. Although my current and the former Eclipse in 7wsm didn't need anything unless I wanted to really customize it. From a hunting perspective I typically have woods and no more than 1-150 yards so my Browning Abolts have been awesome. I do like their out of the box quality and support, that really shines with them. Customizable, UGH... Sometimes not needed for it's intended use. If I could have only 1 Hunting rifle, I'd trust Browning before the others.

This post is pretty old,
but In need to put my $0.02

I just bought this rifle in 7mm Rem Mag,
I already have a Winny Supergrade 270 WSM and a Savage in 7mm WSM,
but when I saw this LRH at the store, she was calling me.
Let's put it this way, since I tried my Browning,
my Savage 16FCSS 7mm WSM is for sale.
All in, 9.0 lbs and I dont get it ??
My supergrade 270WSM dressed with a Zeiss HD5 = 9.6 lbs.

I like the camo against the stainless metal look, seems like they got that right too. Another good Browning! Looks like it will get more accurate as you get used to it too. Be safe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.