Browning Stalker X bolt Long Range.

Deerhntr71

I have been looking at this on the Browning website and considering one in 270 Win. Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts? The other is the Hell's Canyon Smoke X bolt. Was wondering if this is a better rifle? They are both shot show specials. Just the it is kind of neat the stalker 270 Win comes with a 26" barrel and muzzle break.

I haven't had any experience with the exact models you asked about but the X Bolts I've been around/own are quite accurate and I love the generous magazine room for seating bullets wherever you need for accuracy. A lot of the die hard A Bolt fans might try to steer you away from the X Bolt but I think they are a great rifle. I wish they made all the models they have now in Left Hand.

My thoughts are, pick the one that makes you happier. You probably won't be disappointed with either one.

I wouldn't be scared of it. I have a composite stalker in 270 that shoots 130sst running hot at an honest 1/4 moa every time I shoot it. If the longer barrel shoots like mine that should be a deer hammer!

I have had the x-bolt composite stalker in .308 for about a month. I have been trying to develop a hand-load recipe for it, thus far with little success. 1.168" moa is the best I have gotten with Varget and IMR4064 with 165 sgk's. I am in the early stages and with it's 1:12 twist barrel. I may need to look at the 150 grainers or different powders. That's just my limited experience thus far. I like everything else about the rifle, and if I ever find what it likes will be very pleased with it.

The .270 is a great caliber. If you get one like Smokepoles you got a winner for sure.

My buddy shoots two xbolts (.308 and .223) and loves them both in terms of quality of the rifle and out of the box accuracy. He is talking about picking up one in 6.5cm.

mobenzowner, try reloader 17 or h4350 with that 165 gr. sierra g.k.. the browning x bolt is an excellent rifle for a factory production rifle. I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and it will put shots in 1/4 to 3/8 inch groups with my handloads all day.

I would tell anyone looking to buy, don't wait! and yep that hells canyon x bolt is on my list too.

Bought the "wife" a xbolt 6.5 creedmoor. Its a fun gun to shoot and will shoot better than anyone we have had behind the trigger

mobenzowner, try reloader 17 or h4350 with that 165 gr. sierra g.k.. the browning x bolt is an excellent rifle for a factory production rifle. I have one in 6.5 creedmoor and it will put shots in 1/4 to 3/8 inch groups with my handloads all day.

I would tell anyone looking to buy, don't wait! and yep that hells canyon x bolt is on my list too.

I have some h4350, I'll give it a try. Hodgdon doesnt show any load data for h4350 with the 165 however. What is a good starting point?

My X-bolt seems to have a very long throat. I actually shot it again today with the Sierra 165 #2145 and seated them 2.294" to ogive which was .015 off the lands. Got just under MOA with 42.9 grains IMR4895. That is 1 grain over Sierra listed max, but well under the 45.5 IMR lists as max in a Winchester case. Always work up.

My Lee loading book has a starting point for the 165 gr. bullet and H 4350 at 44 grs. for min. start point and 47 grs. for MAX.. The Alliant web page for R17 powder shows 50 grs. of powder for the same bullet as MAX. load, "I would be careful here", R17 is a touch hotter than the 4350 powders. Start low and work up. I've had real good results with R17 powder in my Ruger 30/06 and my Browning X Bolt 6.5 Creedmoor.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.