Browning X-Bolt Stalker Long Range (300 WM) -- Experiences/Advice?

Ok, I will be sure to look that up. From what I've heard/read about APA, it sounds like they make what I need. This will be my hunting rifle, so shot distances are extremely varied. I do agree though that a side ported brake is in my favor in case I have a prone shooting opportunity or my normal shooting endeavors. Now, do you know what the accuracy is like out of these rifles?
I had a Hells Canyon in 6.5 Creedmoor that shot exceptionally well. Well under MOA with factory Nosler and Hornady ammo. In a moment of weakness I sold that rifle. New owner is getting half MOA with hand loads. Hells Canyon is basically the same rifle you have but just with some flashy Cerakote,

My newest is a 28 Nosler. Break-in and sight-in in starts tomorrow. I've had it for over a month but haven't been able to get out. I'm going to try and follow the Browning break-in procedure, so it might take me a couple trips to get all the way through and groups measured. I'm starting out with factory Hornady ammo for break-in.

Browning says:
  1. Shoot once, clean (x 10 rounds)
  2. Shoot 2 rounds, clean (rounds 11-20)
From past experience, that takes hours and hours.

I put a titanium self timing brake on my X-bolt 28 Nosler, from Mesa Precision Arms. Only 2 oz. Looks awesome, and I can spot my own hits now.

I had a Hells Canyon in 6.5 Creedmoor that shot exceptionally well. Well under MOA with factory Nosler and Hornady ammo. In a moment of weakness I sold that rifle. New owner is getting half MOA with hand loads. Hells Canyon is basically the same rifle you have but just with some flashy Cerakote,

My newest is a 28 Nosler. Break-in and sight-in in starts tomorrow. I've had it for over a month but haven't been able to get out. I'm going to try and follow the Browning break-in procedure, so it might take me a couple trips to get all the way through and groups measured. I'm starting out with factory Hornady ammo for break-in.

Browning says:
  1. Shoot once, clean (x 10 rounds)
  2. Shoot 2 rounds, clean (rounds 11-20)
From past experience, that takes hours and hours.

Great to hear. Thank you for that break in procedure, I will give it a shot. Now, how do you clean? What's your process and chemical choice?

I'm hoping to purchase the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit here shortly. I've been wanting to get into loading, especially since I can get alot more out of my guns.

I put a titanium self timing brake on my X-bolt 28 Nosler, from Mesa Precision Arms. Only 2 oz. Looks awesome, and I can spot my own hits now.

Great to hear. Dumb question... does a brake make bullet contrail more visible? I've never owned a braked rifle, so curious as to it's benefit besides recoil reduction.

Mostly recoil reduction, it does contribute to weight so bullet poi can change if removed. Some thread protectors are weighted to copy brake. Some guides will not want you to use the break so check. They are very loud, luckily a 300 mag isn't too bad on recoil.

Accurate rifles from what I've seen. I've got a Hells canyon long range in .300 win mag that shoots .3- 1 MOA depending on the day and how I'm shooting and such. It likes any hammer bullet I've shot in it and 215 bergers and 210 accubond lr.

Since I'm shooting a 6.5 PRC from my X-Bolt Pro I decided to not use the factory brake. I value my ears too much.

I do use a Little Bastard brake on my 6.5 CM RPR competition rifle to stay on target but it is the only rifle with a brake.

Eric B.

Great to hear. Dumb question... does a brake make bullet contrail more visible? I've never owned a braked rifle, so curious as to it's benefit besides recoil reduction.
a side port brake, with top ports, will greatly reduced muzzle jump also, allowing you to spot your own hits at long range.

Since I'm shooting a 6.5 PRC from my X-Bolt Pro I decided to not use the factory brake. I value my ears too much.

I do use a Little Bastard brake on my 6.5 CM RPR competition rifle to stay on target but it is the only rifle with a brake.

Eric B.

Do you know how long APA takes to make new batches of brakes? I have been eyeing the Gen 2 Little Bastard, but they are out of the nitrided ones. Also, any experience with the Gen 2 over Gen 1 brakes?

1) 5/8-24 muzzle thread pitch
2) Stock brake works. Nothing special but it'll help tame the 300 Win Mag
3) 1:8 twist, as mentioned, will shot just about any bullet out there.
4) Recommendations:
  1. MCarbo Spring: https://www.mcarbo.com/browning-x-bolt-trigger-spring-kit.aspx
  2. Side port brake, if you shoot prone at all
There are some XBolt rifles not able to change out the new spring the hole is too small to get the old spring out. I may next year get a Timney trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts