Browning X-Bolt Stalker Long Range (300 WM) -- Experiences/Advice?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I just sold my Remington 700 5-R -- just too heavy to lug around as my hunting rifle. Now, I have my eyes on the X-Bolt Stalker Long Range in 300 Win. Mag and wanted to hear personal experiences, recommendations, likes and dislikes.

I also had a few questions...

1) What is the thread pitch on this rifle?
2) How is the stock brake? Good/bad?
3) The 1:8" twist -- what weight/bullet do you all shoot? I don't reload, yet, however plan to in the future, so may be stuck with factory 180s for a period of time.
4) Likes/dislikes, recommendations?

Thank you!

Totally agree with martinakl. Great rifle, with good twist. I took the brake off after first shooting session and haven't put on since. The McCarbo spring makes a notable difference.

Great, I appreciate the feedback on the rifle. Do you have any brake recommendations to take place of the stock brake?
I bought this brake for a Ruger American (Threaded 5/8-24). I added the black Cerakote option and it matched up nicely. I bought it because of it smaller profile. Seems like most self timing brakes are much larger diameter. Price was also a positive.

I believe your barrel is probably very close in diameter.
https://www.macsgunworks.com/product-page/quick-fire-muzzle-brake
SIDE VIEW:
CD7EE1F6-B03A-41F0-ABAD-2A602B964D3C.jpeg

TOP VIEW:
04EF993E-EF8F-41BA-B868-4948E9E72A05.jpeg

BOTTOM VIEW:
6F764953-82CA-4450-B523-037831182500.jpeg

.73" Barrel:
C6F58911-2984-43AD-A2AF-2D2F021C74F3.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought this brake for a Ruger American. I added the black Cerakote option and it matched up nicely. I bought it because of it smaller profile. Seems like most self timing brakes are much larger diameter. Price was also a positive.

I believe your barrel is probably very close in diameter.
https://www.macsgunworks.com/product-page/quick-fire-muzzle-brake
SIDE VIEW:
View attachment 157401
TOP VIEW:
View attachment 157402
BOTTOM VIEW:
View attachment 157403
.73" Barrel:
View attachment 157404

So, does barrel diameter play a role in the muzzle brake selection, or is it just the thread pitch for sizing?

Have a 4 port lil beast from MBM, works great. As far as diameter it comes down to preference if you want a smooth transition to your barrel, or tapered.

So, does barrel diameter play a role in the muzzle brake selection, or is it just the thread pitch for sizing?
Thread size has to match and then some sort of: budget, looks, effectiveness, preference, timing, equation. Order if those is up to the individual.

for a custom rifle, I'd have a brake timed and turned down for a seamless transition while all the other work was being done. For a factory rifle, I don't want to spend too much $$$ on a brake and install, and/or wait for a smith to get around to it.

Thread size has to match and then some sort of: budget, looks, effectiveness, preference, timing, equation. Order if those is up to the individual.

for a custom rifle, I'd have a brake timed and turned down for a seamless transition while all the other work was being done. For a factory rifle, I don't want to spend too much $$$ on a brake and install, and/or wait for a smith to get around to it.

Now, with a brake like the APA's, can I self install the brake? What exactly is "timing" again? Isn't it just starting the install from the correct position to ensure correct orientation of the brake ports?

Now, with a brake like the APA's, can I self install the brake? What exactly is "timing" again? Isn't it just starting the install from the correct position to ensure correct orientation of the brake ports?
APA makes a great brake.

"Timing" is getting a brake to be tight and in the correct position once tight. A couple option to "time" a standard brake would be to get a crush washer or use shims. You really can't adjust the start position, just the stop position. I'd YouTube these to see how it's done.

APA makes a great brake.

"Timing" is getting a brake to be tight and in the correct position once tight. A couple option to "time" a standard brake would be to get a crush washer or use shims. You really can't adjust the start position, just the stop position. I'd YouTube these to see how it's done.

Ok, I will be sure to look that up. From what I've heard/read about APA, it sounds like they make what I need. This will be my hunting rifle, so shot distances are extremely varied. I do agree though that a side ported brake is in my favor in case I have a prone shooting opportunity or my normal shooting endeavors. Now, do you know what the accuracy is like out of these rifles?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.