Browning x bolt carbon fiber finish

dirtboy

I just got a browning X bolt carbon fiber finsh stock 300wsm.. great factory gun. I was surprised at the way that short, fat little shell crank a bullet out of the muzzle. I just had it boresighted haven't got it to the range yet but every shootable object in my yard from 50 to 100yrds has a hole in it..lol! Finally browning put a real stainless matt finish on the gun the carbon fiber model is a shot show speacil. The stock finish is dipped in carbon fiber. the stainless on the gun is a beadblasted dark finish the the normal stainless models. The barrel has some flutes in it which adds a little look to the gun. The 300wsm has a little jump to it but nothing bad recoils like my 30-06 the new reciol pads is a wonder. The gun weighs 6lb6oz by the book. the bolt throw is nice and short. I like being able to wrapped my fingers around the bolt with worrying about the scope. The clip is nice come out easy shell seem to cycle nice. Soon I will see what kind of groups this thing holds. Anyone shoot 300wsm. I'm wandering what I can run down the tube I seen 185 grain bergers. Any thoughts?

Are you a hand loader or are you looking for factory loads? I'm having a .300 wsm built so I've been looking around at different options. If you're looking for factory loads I'd look at thehuntingshackammo.com. They have a good selection for 300 wsm anything from 155 to 210s I think (or there abouts). Federal also does a lot in the 300 wsm as does Black Hills. If you're a hand loader the sky's the limit. Anything in a 30 cal bullet will work in theory!

Last edited:
I'm just getting reloading stuff a little at a time now. I have a redding t7 sitting in a box, rcbs tumbler, redding 2400 case cutter some dies for my 30-378, so I'm going to be..lol! I was looking at the 210 bergers but I read the 300 wsm doesn't do to good with them fitting in the mag. if not no big deal 185 or 168 will be fine I'm sure. gun)

I have a Browning X Bolt Composite Stalker in 300 WSM and with 185 grain Bergers and 61 grains of RL 17 it shoots around 1/2 inch at 100 yards and at 485 yards (furthest I've shot targets) it shot a 2 3/4 inch 5 shot group. For a rifle fully scoped and loaded weighing less than 8 pounds that's AWESOME in my book. We used it to shoot a cow elk a few weeks ago from 412 yards and she flopped faster than anything I've ever seen. When we opened her up there was nothing left in her chest cavity but mush.

@ Browning lover, Whats you coal for that load? and does it work well in the mag or do you load it for single shot?

Dirtyboy I don't measure COL because of the inconsistency of the tips (meplats is what I think they're called) so instead I bought a Stoney Point gauge that measures to a certain point on the ogive. I used to it to figure out how far I could load the bullet out till the lands and then backed it of .015" and it shoots amazing. However if I go to .020" of the lands it goes from 1/2 inch groups to 1.5" groups.

The shells fit into the magazine but just barely so I loaded one extra long so it would scratch the inside of the magazine and show me the actual path the bullets take. Then I took a Dremel with a little tiny endmill and cut out a little relief along that line so that the bullets never touch the front of the magazine and it has functioned flawless for the last 100 rounds.

Yesterday I tried to load up and shoot some 190 grain Bergers and i could not get them to shoot accurately without loading them longer than my magazine would accept so I'll just stick with the 185 grainers.

Thanks for the tip, I guess the 210 bergers I bought will probably just get loaded in my 30-378... I have to go get some 185 and 175 to try

Thanks again....gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.