Browning booger

The bolt has a rough sandblasted finish and the probably plated or not. This makes for a bolt that does not run very smooth, The teflon or delrin makes it cycle somewhat better.
I think they fixed a problem to lower manufacturing cost and created another problem, This sort of fixes it. You can see the rub mark on the bolt supporting the back of the bolt when it is cycled.
Maybe rough finished to hold the ceracoat?
Mine are all glass smooth.

Them xbolt triggers tho. Can you get yours down below 3 lb?

I will make you a deal, PM me your address and I will send you a HVHA trigger spring free of charge, you install it or have it installed, adjust to your liking and then go to the range and shoot the rifle and report back.

Willing to bet you forget about the booger.

I keep a half dozen on hand, never know when I will run across a deal on an X-Bolt.

IMG_2298.jpeg

Just finished this one up, new McMillan, bedded, Talley 20 MOA Lightweights and Tract Toric 3-15x42 UHD BDC reticle.

IMG_2300.jpeg

Edit to add the first picture I somehow forgot to upload.

Last edited:
The bolt has a rough sandblasted finish and the probably plated or not. This makes for a bolt that does not run very smooth, The teflon or delrin makes it cycle somewhat better.
I think they fixed a problem to lower manufacturing cost and created another problem, This sort of fixes it. You can see the rub mark on the bolt supporting the back of the bolt when it is cycled.
Mine is not rough at all. Very silky smooth. Not as baby butt smooth as a Tikka stainless, but very, very close.

I will make you a deal, PM me your address and I will send you a HVHA trigger spring free of charge, you install it or have it installed, adjust to your liking and then go to the range and shoot the rifle and report back.

Willing to bet you forget about the booger.

Appreciate it but I don't mess with my triggers anymore unless I absolutely have to. They always seem like something's a little off after I do so I just learn how to shoot them like they are.

I'll just go to dry fire my factory 700 SPS a few times. That thing will make this x bolt feel like a bixnandy ball trigger.

I've got a Browning X-Bolt. Excellent rifle. I have owned the Browning A-Bolt 2 in the past as well. My X-Bolt is more accurate than my AB2 was.

I don't care for the magazines of the X-Bolt but they work.

The triggers can be lightened with an Mcarbo spring. If you can tie your shoe then you will have no problems installing the spring. Well worth the $15 dollars. I've done my own X-Bolt and my brothers. Excellent triggers after the spring.

My Browning X-Bolt is the Hells Canyon Long Range McMillan left handed 28 Nosler. Shoots very well with 1/2 MOA at 400 yds (farthest I've shot it so far). My X-Bolt shoots as good as some of my custom guns at considerably less money.

I wouldn't worry about that little booger. It'll be there when you finally wear out the gun.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.png
    IMG_0017.png
    599.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0102.png
    IMG_0102.png
    703.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0018.jpeg
    IMG_0018.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 45
I mounted scopes on two x bolt Medallions in 270 recently. One was a shooter. One was so-so. The triggers as they came from the factory were both heavy. Both could have been made better but the owners didn't request it. I have done the M carbo upgrades on a couple for folks. The wood on both was nice. I find their wood stocks to be pretty good. The synthetic stocks, like most, are lacking. I've shot quite a few of them. I'm just not a fan. Truthfully these days I'd rather find an older 700 or Model 70 and build on it over time.

What I like about the X-bolt:
Tons of options and cartridge offerings
60 degree bolt lift
Actions sized to cartridges (they make 4 action lengths)
Nice lightweight sporter styles available.
Threaded barrel options
8 scope mount holes in receiver
Factory cerakote options
Accurate enough

What I don't like about the X-bolt:
While crisp with little take-up and over-travel, the trigger pull weight cannot be adjusted to a point I like. Tried an MCarbo spring, eventually went to the Timney trigger in my X-bolts.

What I like about the X-bolt:
Tons of options and cartridge offerings
60 degree bolt lift
Actions sized to cartridges (they make 4 action lengths)
Nice lightweight sporter styles available.
Threaded barrel options
8 scope mount holes in receiver
Factory cerakote options
Accurate enough

What I don't like about the X-bolt:
While crisp with little take-up and over-travel, the trigger pull weight cannot be adjusted to a point I like. Tried an MCarbo spring, eventually went to the Timney trigger in my X-bolts.
Talking factory stuff, Browning is moving in the right direction with their target line but they are way overpriced even with their seasonal rebates. With bergara you get a true short or long action, aics mag or metal bld floor plate, light, medium, or heavy 18 to 26 inch barrel. Better triggers that are only one step below Tikka and don't need dicking with. A lot of them are around 1 lb pull weight out of the box. Stocks that are fully blocked in traditional or tactical style. And you get to pick from all of that stuff for $700 to $900 range. Then you can start throwing more money at it with more their cerakote and carbon fiber options.

and they make a normal high quality 22lr bolt gun where browning is stuck on that squirrel headed tbolt thing

Recent Posts