Browning XBolts

I have two X-Bolts and two A-Bolts. I've carried the X-Bolts hundreds of miles and fired thousands of rounds through them and have never had a magazine fall out or fail to feed. The triggers are ok but I have a 'smith that can make them much better (I'd still rather have a Timney though). For an off the shelf rifle that you don't plan to rebarrel or customize I think they are great. However, after the fiasco I have just been through trying to rebarrel/re-stock my X-Bolt .243 I don't plan on EVER buying a Browning rifle product again.

I see they have a suppressor ready model now and Montana just got some freedom back this year! Suppressors will be big game legal this season for the first time!

I have two X-Bolts and two A-Bolts. I've carried the X-Bolts hundreds of miles and fired thousands of rounds through them and have never had a magazine fall out or fail to feed. The triggers are ok but I have a 'smith that can make them much better (I'd still rather have a Timney though). For an off the shelf rifle that you don't plan to rebarrel or customize I think they are great. However, after the fiasco I have just been through trying to rebarrel/re-stock my X-Bolt .243 I don't plan on EVER buying a Browning rifle product again.

Would you mind elaborating on the problems you're experiencing while rebarreling? I've heard, in general, brownings are a little harder to rebarrel (something about stripping the threads due to the adhesive they use). I've got a 25-06 that I'd like to turn into a 280 AI, but maybe not...

Actually replacing the barrel wasn't an issue at all. According to the gunsmith the old one came off and the new one went on just fine. The problem is that the contour of the new barrel doesn't match the factory barrel contour even though we tried to match them up (ordered a Broughton Light Palma). The new barrel is actually wider than the stock 2.5" in front of the recoil lug. The Varmint Stalker factory stock is fairly narrow. The headache has been trying to find a good aftermarket replacement stock. McMillan- nada, B&C-nada,Choate-nada, Stocky's-nada, HS-nada, Joel Russo-nada, Altamont-nada(for a short action), Boyd's-nada ( they actually make 5 stocks for the X-Bolt but all have a narrow fore-end. I'm afraid I will run out of material, just like on my factory stock). That has been my frustration. I have a brand new barreled action sitting at the gunsmiths with no stock to attach it to. (And rock chuck season is quickly coming to a close). Tears....

Would you mind elaborating on the problems you're experiencing while rebarreling? I've heard, in general, brownings are a little harder to rebarrel (something about stripping the threads due to the adhesive they use). I've got a 25-06 that I'd like to turn into a 280 AI, but maybe not...
I rebarreled by Browning A-Bolt II 7mmRm last year, and the smith said he had no issues. He said the barrel was a bit sticky and required a little more force to remove than a Rem 700, but he managed to break it loose with no problems. He said, that once you safely get the factory Browning barrel removed and the threads cleaned up... That it will be a piece of cake to rebarrel it from then-on out. So, as long as you get the factory barrel off and the threads cleaned up, you'll be set. :cool:

Actually replacing the barrel wasn't an issue at all. According to the gunsmith the old one came off and the new one went on just fine. The problem is that the contour of the new barrel doesn't match the factory barrel contour even though we tried to match them up (ordered a Broughton Light Palma). The new barrel is actually wider than the stock 2.5" in front of the recoil lug. The Varmint Stalker factory stock is fairly narrow. The headache has been trying to find a good aftermarket replacement stock. McMillan- nada, B&C-nada,Choate-nada, Stocky's-nada, HS-nada, Joel Russo-nada, Altamont-nada(for a short action), Boyd's-nada ( they actually make 5 stocks for the X-Bolt but all have a narrow fore-end. I'm afraid I will run out of material, just like on my factory stock). That has been my frustration. I have a brand new barreled action sitting at the gunsmiths with no stock to attach it to. (And rock chuck season is quickly coming to a close). Tears....
Why don't you call Manners and tell them what you need... They can make anything you want for any model rifle.

I will. I checked the Manners website and it showed nothing for a Browning so I assumed I was out of luck. Are you sure they will do a custom build for a Browning?

I will. I checked the Manners website and it showed nothing for a Browning so I assumed I was out of luck. Are you sure they will do a custom build for a Browning?
I'm not 100%, but I was told that they will make them for Brownings by someone pretty knowledgeable, but I can't guarantee that, as it is only 2nd-hand information to me.

However, I'd just about bet money that if you're willing to fork out the cash, they'll make whatever you want.

Just got a reply from Manners this morning. Nada tostada for a Browning. No big surprise.

Just got a reply from Manners this morning. Nada tostada for a Browning. No big surprise.

I could have sworn I've seen one on the internet before, too...But I guess not.

I know B&C makes one, and McMillan makes one for A-Bolts...Not sure about X-Bolts.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.