Browning booger

pecker_wood

Hello, does anyone know what this booger is inside this new Browning x bolt stalker 6.8 western short action? Please tell me they're not doing this to keep the bolt from binding up and to run smoother...

1000001600.jpg

seems like mickey mouse engineering to me. i guess they did it to save weight or was an afterthought to get the bolt to ride smoother or keep it from weeble wobbling. If i had know that xbolts ride on drop of glue at the tip of a screw I wouldnt have bought it
Heck....I'll buy it from you for $500. That will solve the issue and allow you to buy another brand.

seems like mickey mouse engineering to me. i guess they did it to save weight or was an afterthought to get the bolt to ride smoother or keep it from weeble wobbling. If i had know that xbolts ride on drop of glue at the tip of a screw I wouldnt have bought it

It is actually teflon or most likely derlin. How the bolt acts out of battery is of little concern to me, it is how it behaves once locked up I am concerned with and X-Bolt rifles are solid, accurate and reasonably priced rifles that come in a wide variety of configurations and chamberings.

They are no, list any 700 clone, but they certainly do what Browning claims they'll do.

We use derlin every day in tooling applications at work. It is easy to machine, offers great wear resistance, doesn't cause wear to composite or metal production parts(except for finish noted above) and it is fairly reasonably priced.

I doubt in your lifetime or the lifetime of your kids, that guide will ever need to be replaced.

Since they debuted in the 2008ish time frame, I have never seen, read or heard anyone say they have had to replace one. I have a stainless 30'06 from the release year that is at Browning now for a gummy stock to be replaced. It is just as smooth now as it was new, you just couldn't set it down, it was like cotton candy on hot summer day sticky.

That little "plastic booger" bothers you, but you are fine with cheap plastic stocks, cheap plastic magazines, poor quality brass and the limited options of the 6.8 Western ammunition. It is a $1100 rifle, $1300 tops.

Noted.

Another perspective, I have a $4200 custom build on a nitrided Defiance Anti Action that is super tight, so tight it would cause feed issues when new. With several hundred down the pipe and probably twice as many cycles, it's buttery smooth now and my favorite rifle.

What do you think purpose of it is. Its there to set the tension on the back of the bolt when in or out of battery because it jumps around or if it's there to keep the bolt from binding due to the ultralight action design. Interesting they left it out of their parts schematic so I guess it's not a serviceable part
1000001604.png

Attachments

• 1000001601.png
    1000001601.png
    115 KB · Views: 39
That article makes it sound like it was an add-on done after the design was put into production due to bolt binding. Sounds like i should be able to just remove the thing if it ever breaks so thats good