Brown bear Rifle

Love that one of the saltiest ever - giant Kodiak guides - said: That ole six bits works pretty good. :) As in 75 cents - further extrapolated to .375. The bigger the bear - the bigger the gun recommended, And practice. I have shot a .375 - not that rattling of a kick - lean into it a little. :) Dos

A 300 WM is enough gun, but as others have said check with your guide. I would rethink Noslers and start thinking about 220 grain Woodleigh Weldcore. I know bullets are scarce as hens teeth. Two big problems Alaskan guides have are out of shape fat slobs and those that can not shoot their gun with any accuracy.

I lived. In AK for 11 years and go back twice a year now to fish. When I lived up there all my buddies doing a Kodiak hunt seemed to swear by taking a 375 with them. As long as you feel comfortable with your current caliber you will be fine. Just have a revolver ready to go as a backup!

Your existing rifle is a great choice. Back in 1989 I hunted brown bear on the Alaskan peninsula with a .375 H&H. I was charged by a sow brown bear, her charge started at 17 steps. God decided it wasn't my day to die because somehow I was able to get my gun up, shoot her in the mouth which caused her to fall down an embankment into the stream and died. I could never make that shot again if I had 1000 tries! Personally, if I were going back to brown bear country, I'd take a canon!! Lol

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
Some outfits have a minimum on big bears. I would check that first. If they say 300 well then your ready to go. At the ranges you will be killing brown bears you need thump more then range anyway. I'm sure a heavy bullet out of anything 270 and up would be fine in my opinion.

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
Have a fully custom 338 RUM... my elk thumper. All the calibers mentioned will get it done. Talk to your guide and see what he recommends... I'd even add the 30-378 Wby as well.. my own personal choice for this ~ if I was going.. the 338 RUM... good luck on your hunt! Let us know what you go with, show some pictures when it's finished!!
Mark from Texas

You will be fine just concentration on shot placement when I was up there I used 7mm

You've got plenty of rifle. Use it. I have hunted there with a 300 Weatherby mag and that's enough gun as well. Bought a stock protector for the wood stock. Lots of wet weather.