Brown bear Rifle

I built a 458 lott, I have degenerative disc disease, multiple herniated discs in my neck, the rest are bulging, severe arthritis. My back is now bad as well, rejected surgery by the insurance company so I haven't even had an MRI to see how bad my back is, doesn't matter at this point.

She is fun to shoot, it is an iron sight gun, that's it for me, shallow V rear, white dot up front. Fun though, no soreness, no bone bruising, even with a full bore heavy 500gr load, she's a hoot.

In ear custom hearing protection would be how I'd go now, I went generic fit $400 in ear and it's not great. But you'll hear better than normal, the custom fit will be as comfortable as can be, don't need to worry about your hearing.

I know my dream gun for the hunt would be a double rifle, maybe a 470NE, dream gun for a dream hunt..

Just a dream for someone like me, I hope you make it out there, good luck.
1) The health care system is busted, just finally jumped some of those hoops. Sorry you're going through it. I was fortunate to have a Dr that didn't take NO for an answer on MRI. It wasn't the first Dr. I saw either.

The double rifle figures prominently in my Brown Bear dream that we share. It's why these threads grow so long, so many of us wanting to have that experience.

Reality would be a good bolt gun, but hey it's a dream.

Good bullets however you jump, fortunately there are some good ones out there.

Everybody has their favorites, while this is a long range site, bears mostly aren't. Pick your maximum range (we know the minimum) and play to that strength. I think other styles absent a high BC are better, but certainly some good bullets in the high BC class.

Some good suggestions to this point, my bias is towards the Hammer line, just so easy to work with from ordering, to service after the sale, and hands on use.

Best Wishes!

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions??

Planning on a once in a lifetime brown bear Alaskan hunt in a couple years. Have a 300 Win Mag that shoots 220 Nosler partitions and 200 Nosler partitions quite well. Don't really want to buy another rifle but should I move up to a 338 class? Thinking of either a 33 Nosler, 338 WM or 338 ultra??? Opinions???
I can see that one has to watch what one is doing when replying or your comments will be posted before it is done. Anyway I have been a rifle instructor both in the Army as well as NRA for, let's just say a very long time so I don't date myself. It has been my experience that no matter what you are hunting you need to use a rifle with adequate energy to get the job done, but even more importantly a rifle you are familiar with that you can accurately place the bullet exactly where you want it each and every time when you pull the trigger. Shot placement is all important and shooting a rifle you are intimately familiar with beats trying on that you barely know, that kicks the heck out of you which may cause a flinch at the most inopportune time. I have owned and still own a 300 Win Mag and providing you are comfortable with it and can place the shot exactly where you want it every time there should not be any issues killing an brown bear. Assuming that you are going on a guided hunt let your guide carry the heavy artillery which he/she is used to for a backup if needed. It is a big misconception that bigger is always better. A well placed shot with the rifle you are familiar with is much better than a misplaced shot with a larger rifle that you might not shoot as well.

I am in AWE when I see posts like this where someone is asking for advice on what caliber to to use on a hunt. For the majority of us hunters or maybe quite a few on this forum that have had the opportunity to hunt such majestic animals as a Brown Bear, Elk, Moose, 200 Class White tail, Prong Horn, Buffalo, Mountain Lion in North America and then Africa where the BIG FIVE live. Most of us can not even think about affording a hunt for one of these animals. Just want to tell all of you that when you make the hunt and finish you are obligated to let all of us know how the hunt went. We -Jill and I just love to hear the hunting stories. It is like living vicariously through other hunters. So all of you that have probably saved up for a once in a lifetime hunt need to share that experience with all of us. We spoke with a hunter this past year that was on a hunt for North America Mountain Lion. He basically sent us a detailed story, which was probably 30 pages from starting two years in advanced to after the hunt and receiving the mount almost another year later. I felt like I was in his boots and pulling the trigger. So when you have a great hunt please share your story with all of us. Many of us have not yet had to opportunity to have our dream hunt and can learn much from your experiences. Jill and I were extremely fortunate to go on a Safari to Africa in 2006 and it was life changing. We always wanted to do a Brown Bear hunt, but unless a lighting strike of fortune to get there, we can live through other hunters experiences. My dad always said if you want to something, you can do it, just depends on what sacrifices you are willing to take.
Sir we wish you the best of LUCK on your upcoming ADVENTURE and SAFETY above all else comes first. Have a safe trip to come back and share your experience with all of us!!!!
Len & Jill

Which brake are you using these days? I've had a few, Kirby Allens Pain Killer is leading currently.

I had a 6mm in the shop, smirked and went why not do it while it's here (for the kids). Spotting shots all that stuff are bonuses included. I embarrassed my know it it all smart &&&& side.
Lols...
I'm normally buying and using titanium brakes from Muzzle Brakes & More. 5-port Beast brakes on the 30 and 338 Magnums.
A 3-port Lil Beast on the 22 Creed.

Yeah, I wondered, and hesitated... but only about 5 seconds, before deciding I wanted a brake on the 22 Creed. Maybe I'm a whimpering weenie. But the less they kick, the more enjoyable, as far as I'm concerned.

Lols...
I'm normally buying and using titanium brakes from Muzzle Brakes & More. 5-port Beast brakes on the 30 and 338 Magnums.
A 3-port Lil Beast on the 22 Creed.

Yeah, I wondered, and hesitated... but only about 5 seconds, before deciding I wanted a brake on the 22 Creed. Maybe I'm a whimpering weenie. But the less they kick, the more enjoyable, as far as I'm concerned.
Jill's 204 you can see the bullet impact looking through the scope at 100-500 with the suppressor on. Very satisfying to know what you are shooting where it hits .We are big fans of Breaks/suppressors.

Reading all these replies brings back memories. I was extremely fortunate to hunt brown bears on Kodiak many many years ago (when it was kind of affordable). Borrowed a .375 H&H and some other gear and headed to Kodiak for 10 days. Before I went, the guide told me to shoot whatever caliber I felt most comfortable with even if it was a .308 (I'm not a .308 hater)

Good luck with your trip, enjoy everyday because it goes quick, even when you're wet and cold sitting in the wet bear grass👌

Attachments

• 5542C6B7-7D67-4DF7-BC02-4F543C5F3004.jpeg
    5542C6B7-7D67-4DF7-BC02-4F543C5F3004.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 325
If you do decide to go for a new rifle I'll throw a plug out there for the Kimber Talkeetna. It's as purpose built a rifle for Alaska bear hunting as you can find. Fantastic stock, stainless everything and some very fine ghost ring sights from NECG ( just in case you fall on the wet grass and crack an objective, we call it snot grass because that's how slick it is!).
I really enjoy it and the .375 is just not that bad recoil wise, I liken it more to a shotgun than a sharp smack like a 300.
That being said, I ended up taking my brownie on the kenai peninsula with an 06 pushing a 168 woodleigh. Only needed one and he rolled down the hill.
then the work begins!!
F4D7B859-99AE-42EE-965B-F33B8BE0E223.jpeg

Hey, I'll throw in my two cents, I used a 375 H&H on my Kodiak brown bear hunt. 1ADDF628-21CC-46E7-A277-5ED9B4DA042B.jpeg I agree with AKbirder, the 375 is more of a big push. Way more fun to shoot than an unbraked 300 Wby. Kodiak is one of the places I love to go, heading there in Oct to hunt goats and deer. I'm already thinking about the next hunt there after this years, it has got it's hooks in deep. PM me if you want some info on Kodiak. Take Care, Rick

Experiences and conclusions among guides vary. The one I knew closest after his career was over opined that the .375's were a good client rifle, but as a guide he would want something in the .416 plus.

History varies some due to supply, and availability. Bigger combo's have became more popular as good rifles were more than a good idea, and a real world choice.

Just in the days since I last spoke with this fellow (30 + years now), bigger cartridges such as the RUM's, Lapua, etc have become available to toss bullets harder.

Bullet technology to withstand those forces, and offer superior wound characteristics than ever continue to improve.

Technology making over the counter legit dangerous game rifles a reality, and the increase in builders taking to the next level is unreal.

The bears, and environment remain strong. The principles of starting with a reliable rifle, tough enough to sustain the process, chambered for something powerful enough, to launch a quality bullet into the correct piece of anatomy when the moment comes is still the base for discussion.

Our dreams and discussions fueled these changes. Our willingness to purchase rifles we may never use except to remind us of our dreams makes change possible for those at the tip of the spear.

I envy those getting the chance to more than dream it. Thanks for the opportunity to draft along vicariously. Make it real and get back to us with the story, and the lessons from your experience to add to the knowledge base.