Brown bear Hunt

I just finished a 338 RUM build. I used a lil beast brake on it and couldn't be happier with the results! The recoil felt is less than an 06!

Attachments

• 20190508_185634.jpg
    20190508_185634.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
Jim, the .338 RUM is a very good choice for a bear gun. I would use a 250 gr. Partition or Swift A frame but the Hammer bullets are also starting to intrigue me & I might be forced to try some, even tho a bear hint isn't likely in my future. I have a .338 WM but if I were buying today I would get the RUM instead. The belts are totally unnecessary these days and the RUM is the perfect replacement. Whatever you get, make sure you can shoot the rifle from oddball positions without flinching. If you're recoil sensitive, you'd be better off with a smaller caliber you can shoot well. If not, however, the .338 is a very good choice. If you think it's possible there might be an African trip in your future, then take a hard look at the 375 or even 416 cals but otherwise, the .338 will cover anything in NA that walks, crawls, slithers, swims or flies! Or that might bite!
Cheers,
crkckr

When I went on my Kodiak bear hunt I used a 375 H&H with Barnes 235 and 270 TSX's. The 235's gave me a tiny bit better groups, under an inch for three shots. The 270's were right at an inch. And they shot very close to the same point of impact. So I loaded one 235 and the rest were 270's. My hunting partner and I followed the advice of a long time AK guide, Joe Want, who said, "keep shooting till it stops moving". My first shot went thru the chest and he started spinning like top. We shot 7 times and found five entrance holes. I found two of the 270 TSX's against his hide. He squared out at nine foot. I vote for a 375 H&H. And like someone else mentioned, it'll work for buff in Africa if you ever get that opportunity. My rifle also loves the 250 TTSX. It shoots that under an inch for a three shot group at 100 yds

In the 338 WM What bullet do you think is optimun as I am preparing for a future Alaskan brown Bear hunt also .... am thinking about buying a Christianson Arms 300 WM and rebarreling to 338WM ??

Any of the heavier mono's would be a good choice! We're running Barnes 225 TTSX's pushed hard in my wife's .338 WM. She's never taken an Alaskan Brown, but it's performed quite well on one moose, one smallish black bear, and numerous elk and antelope. With it's performance on elk and moose.....it should work quite well on a big bear also! memtb

Unless you just want another rifle/cartridge, Your 338 RUM will work just fine! Along with the bullets suggested....consider a Barnes TSX 225 or 250 grains. Historically, the TSX does "not" open quite as readily as does the TTSX/LRX, which may provide slightly better weight retention....if needed for an "extreme" raking shot! You have a 225 TTSX or a 250 LRX that may be also considering! memtb
Great advice...also to
Unless you just want another rifle/cartridge, Your 338 RUM will work just fine! Along with the bullets suggested....consider a Barnes TSX 225 or 250 grains. Historically, the TSX does "not" open quite as readily as does the TTSX/LRX, which may provide slightly better weight retention....if needed for an "extreme" raking shot! You have a 225 TTSX or a 250 LRX that may be also considering! memtb
Great advice but I would throw in the 300 gr. Sierra Matchking... I have them punching thru 3/4" steel plate (mild steel not QT) at 300 yards...never would have thought it from a HP

Great advice...also to

Great advice but I would throw in the 300 gr. Sierra Matchking... I have them punching thru 3/4" steel plate (mild steel not QT) at 300 yards...never would have thought it from a HP

skipglo, There "may" be an issue using this type of bullet for a hunting application. Historically "match" bullets have given inconsistent results on game. Sometimes fragmenting causing very poor penetration, and sometimes failing to open at all, merely "penciling through" with minimal tissue disruption. When "penciling through", the wound is much like stepping on a nail.....the pointed tip pushes the flesh aside, and the flesh immediately closes back around the "surprisingly" small penetrating wound! memtb

skipglo, There "may" be an issue using this type of bullet for a hunting application. Historically "match" bullets have given inconsistent results on game. Sometimes fragmenting causing very poor penetration, and sometimes failing to open at all, merely "penciling through" with minimal tissue disruption. When "penciling through", the wound is much like stepping on a nail.....the pointed tip pushes the flesh aside, and the flesh immediately closes back around the "surprisingly" small penetrating wound! memtb
Excellent one shot kills on both elk and Black bears...neither of four took two steps. I was a little concerned at first as you noted...but excellent results

The key to hollow points, is being sure they are hollow points. Some of the erratic performance of such bullets can be attributed to improperly formed points.

Attention to this feature of their bullet has a lot to do with with the Hammer's growing reputation. Especially the Sledge Hammer line.

The key to hollow points, is being sure they are hollow points. Some of the erratic performance of such bullets can be attributed to improperly formed points.

Attention to this feature of their bullet has a lot to do with with the Hammer's growing reputation. Especially the Sledge Hammer line.

I've become quite impressed with the Hammer Hunters myself enough to trust my life and clients lives with them.
Definitely the future of bullet design and materials
With the way the liberal winds blow lead core bullets will be a thing of the past soon

From the client side is a little different. You get me close for the first one, a heavy Sledge Hammer in the right spot, and we can skip all the drama!:D

I haven't gone to the Hammer's because they are lead free, I just think they're better bullets than I've ever shot.

Besides I still got enough lead to make the EPA clean up list.:rolleyes:

The .338 Wincheste, >338 RUM are fine cartridges as is the 375 Ruger. I've always had a fondness for the .358 Norma magnum. Take a look at the ballistics, they are pretty impressive, Hammer makes some great looking heads for the caliber as well. I'd suggest that if you do not reload stick with the .338 WinMag, really do like the 375 Ruger, if you would like something different take a look at the .358 Norma. I had one, sorry that I sold it. I did find it easier on the shoulder than the .338 WinMag. No matter what you build, have fun with it. When you get that custom build back from the gunsmith, it's like a kid getting their first bike at Christmas.

www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.358+Norma+Magnum.html

I will be using either a 338 Jarrett with a 250 grain Barnes LRX, or a 338 Lapua with a 250 grain Sierra Game King. Any feedback on these combinations is appreciated.

Any 338 and bigger will make a good chose as long as you can shoot it well. If you are worried about recoil, good recoil pads, recoil dampeners, and muzzle brakes all work very well. If I ever get the chance to go brown bear hunting I'd take my 400 Whelen and my 35 Whelen for a back up rifle, wouldn't want to be with out a rifle if some thing goes wrong. The 358 Norma and the 358 STA would be grate choses too, as would most 375's and 40 caliber rifles. The 405 Win. and 45-70 would even be good in the right rifle with the right bullet loaded right. Hope you have a grate hunt and what ever caliber you chose should work fine with the right bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.