Brown bear Hunt

If you're building and want a 338RUM, it'll do the job nicely. Or, look into a 375 of some flavor also. If you're worried about a SHTF moment, you'll want that 375. In particular, the ruger hawkeye alaskan 375 or 416, nice and short, very good for what you're after. I carried a 375 ruger and never felt under gunned. I killed 2 brown bears with a 338WM and 250gr hornady interlocks, cheap but effective. The big bears can be stubborn, but they'll go down with good bullets in good places.
Big fan of both the 375 and 416 Rugers

The 375 and 416 are both great choices for bear and other hunts too. I have used my 375 H&H from small to huge, dangerous and huge+dangerous animals in Africa. Even with a 25" barrel, my Blaser handles very nicely. There is no problem with weather, mud etc. as it has a fiberglass stock.

I used to guide fishing trips in AK and we carried a 12ga with slugs or a 416 Rem. The 416 was completely miserable to shoot though. If it were me I'd worry less about speed, and more about caliber. I'd say go classic with the .375 H&H. Knew a lot of residents and that was all they carried for everything from deer to brown bear.

The Ruger version of the 375 is a great choice. If there is any possibility of hunting Africa, then 375 is the minimum caliber for some animals like Cape Buffalo. I've used the 250 grain Hornady GMX in my 375 for just about everything with excellent results.

The Ruger version of the 375 is a great choice. If there is any possibility of hunting Africa, then 375 is the minimum caliber for some animals like Cape Buffalo. I've used the 250 grain Hornady GMX in my 375 for just about everything with excellent results.

I have the same gun. It's a GREAT rifle and cartridge.

I had my M70 375 H&H Safari ceracoated and restocked for Alaska. Used the 270 Barnes and it worked perfectly but I'm now working up loads for the 250 TTSX for the next trip.

My preferred bear gun is a 338 Jarret and 250 grain Swift's or Partitions. A good buddy of mine guides on the peninsula for the last 20 years. Like most guides he'd rather see you with an 06 you can shoot instead of something you can't. He'll also just walk away if you start talking about tiny groups. Tell him you can go 10 for 10 on a paper plate at 100 he might acknowledge your presence. He carries a 338 WM. Says it's perfect. Doesn't like the fast 33s because most don't handle the recoil.
My preferred bear gun is a 338 Jarret and 250 grain Swift's or Partitions. A good buddy of mine guides on the peninsula for the last 20 years. Like most guides he'd rather see you with an 06 you can shoot instead of something you can't. He'll also just walk away if you start talking about tiny groups. Tell him you can go 10 for 10 on a paper plate at 100 he might acknowledge your presence. He carries a 338 WM. Says it's perfect. Doesn't like the fast 33s because most don't handle the recoil.
I have a .300Wby, .338WM and .375Wby any of which I could use with appropriate bullets. If you are going on a guided hunt , then your .300WM is sufficient with good bullets. If you were going with friends, then the .338 or .375 would be more appropriatr

I have a .300Wby, .338WM and .375Wby any of which I could use with appropriate bullets. If you are going on a guided hunt , then your .300WM is sufficient with good bullets. If you were going with friends, then the .338 or .375 would be more appropriate. Ask your guide to see what he would prefer and follow his advice.

IMO take your .300 Win mag, if it's what your comfortable with you will be most focused on your shot placement, and that's what matters.

Next I'd take the caliber and bullet your guide suggests, cause they usually aren't thrilled when someone shows up with a new unfamiliar large caliber. Or a poor bullet choice.

You get into the 375 H, 416 and larger you have no range for a follow up shot if the bears making tracks.

There's an old USFS article on some research they did for their employees and what caliber to carry for bear defence and they picked .30-06 first because it was easy to shoot. Then I think a .458

Shot a brown bear on the peninsula last year 140 yards with my .300 Weatherby and 200gr partitions

55C0ED11-5551-4307-87F7-4A62C7256B87.jpeg
308ED7C6-9C07-4E03-98FF-20A73FD111C3.jpeg
My caliber of choice is the .375
My cartridge choice is the 375 RBH topped with a 281 grain Hammer Hunter.
It's my all around Alaska round/rifle
Plenty of horsepower for those occasional follow up shots
281 HH at 2880 fps out of a 22 inch barrel

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.