Brisket in an Egg smoker

Why so hot?

I smoke mine at a grate temp of 200º - 225º. I ignore the factory temp gauge on the lid, it's never right and there's nothing up there close to it.

I use a ceramic pizza stone and a stainless deep dish pizza pan for fluids. I mix pellets, wood chunks and hardwood lump in layers, I start the bottom layer of lump with the bigger chunks, then a couple pieces of pecan from the orchard, next layer smaller pieces of lump, some pellets and smaller chunks of pecan until I am at fire ring height. I have a grate riser(large woo) from the Ceramic Grill Store that gives me extra room for load out and holds my stone and deep dish stainless pizza pan. Once I start it and get it set, I never open the lid again until I get ready to remove what ever I am cooking. I have cooked big briskets overnight and even cooked a bison brisket for close to 32hrs on one load of lump.

I have had mine since 2005, so I have a ton of experience and wasted a lot of meat figuring everything out. Once you leap that hurtle, it's all high cholesterol and clogged arteries 🤣

Last 2 things I cooked

Bison Ribeys and Pork Tenderloin stuffed with Johnsonville Hatch Chili Pepper Sausage. The only way the stuffed tenderloin could have been better was if I had wrapped it in thick cut black pepper bacon.

IMG_0829.jpeg
IMG_9949.jpeg
IMG_9950.jpeg
IMG_9948.jpeg

Smokeware chimney cap

Makes control of cooks not using a controller very easy to set and forget. I have had one since they hit the market. I use it with the and without the Digi-Q.

Are your seals all ok?

My BGE will stay stable at 200 or 225 and it's hadn't been upgraded at all. Was using the daisy wheel and manually working the lower vent. I could keep it there for 20 hours on a single load. It wasn't set and forget because I would have to adjust the vents as it went through the charcoal, but it wasn't bad.

I did replace the daisy wheel with the newer top recently just so that I can cook easier in the rain.

I also just picked up the Thermoworks bellows, but haven't tried it yet. I have a 14lb brisket that I need to use up, so I think that's next.

Smokeware chimney cap

Makes control of cooks not using a controller very easy to set and forget. I have had one since they hit the market. I use it with the and without the Digi-Q.

Any problems with that vent getting gummed up? I had heard of problems with it getting stuck and that's what's kept me from getting one.

Any problems with that vent getting gummed up? I had heard of problems with it getting stuck and that's what's kept me from getting one.
Are your seals all ok?

My BGE will stay stable at 200 or 225 and it's hadn't been upgraded at all. Was using the daisy wheel and manually working the lower vent. I could keep it there for 20 hours on a single load. It wasn't set and forget because I would have to adjust the vents as it went through the charcoal, but it wasn't bad.

I did replace the daisy wheel with the newer top recently just so that I can cook easier in the rain.

I also just picked up the Thermoworks bellows, but haven't tried it yet. I have a 14lb brisket that I need to use up, so I think that's next.

No issues, I spin it a couple of times when I go to shut it off.

I toasted several sets of gaskets. The fireproof nomex gasket on the lower portion only is money. Mine came off when I recently moved so I went to Ace Hardware and bought the factory gasket kit, it sucks. I have a nomex gasket sitting on the table that I plan to swap out when I switch from the table it's in back to the nest that came with it.

I use a coarse Arkansas stone to clean the surface to prep it for attaching the new gasket. I don't use the self adhesive versions, I think that the one I have is a Lavalock, it comes with the glue. Take the hinge rings off and clean both surfaces using the stone and alcohol or acetone with a wire brush to clean the crud off as you work. Attach the gasket with the first end down unbraided about a 1/2", working around the the start, cut the gasket about 3/4" too long and unbraid it laying it over the first unbraided section. Set your lid straight down and don't move it.

Then watch a couple of videos on YouTube on how to adjust the hinge and you should see the back come off the gasket in unison with the front when you open it. Adjust until it does.

Can you Actually make a GOOD brisket in an egg?

Thoughts?
Yes. I thought that is why they were made - slow cooking. Can sear a steak or cook a hotdog on a campsite special but can't keep that campsite special Cadillacin for 8 -10hrs.

Love to see brisket or butts on sale . Butts on sale regularly for .99/lb.

I have the Kamado joe. No electronics. Don't have to babysit really.

Recent Posts