Homemade Smoker

D

Deleted member 107796

Hey All,
Great to find this forum as chow is my primary goal of the hunt. I went over to Cabelas to price out the smokers and found the entry price to be a bit above my retirement budget. Went online to look at homemade designs and of course, was blown away at what folks came up with, from nice brick base with wood upper to a design using an old file drawer, complete with smokestack hole on the top.
I found a pretty good site for the ideas I used on mine, based on untreated pine tongue and groove and a 1 burner propane stove. So far I've found the thermal control to be excellent and installed a thermometer. Capacity 2 racks 20"x22". Total cost about $170 and fun to make for a non-carpenter as I am. cheers Note - apologies to our Finnish friends for my bad spelling
Smoker 1.jpg
Smoker 2.jpg

Super incredible! And with a meat source 30 yards away!
What are you using for smoke generation?

We throw a piece of metal down on some bricks to elevate off the wood floor, then build fire outside to create coals. Shovel the coals onto the metal and stick some wet wood chips on top of the coals. Theres a window unit A/C in the back wall not visible in the picture, but we still try to keep from getting too much heat going inside.

Hey All,
Great to find this forum as chow is my primary goal of the hunt. I went over to Cabelas to price out the smokers and found the entry price to be a bit above my retirement budget. Went online to look at homemade designs and of course, was blown away at what folks came up with, from nice brick base with wood upper to a design using an old file drawer, complete with smokestack hole on the top.
I found a pretty good site for the ideas I used on mine, based on untreated pine tongue and groove and a 1 burner propane stove. So far I've found the thermal control to be excellent and installed a thermometer. Capacity 2 racks 20"x22". Total cost about $170 and fun to make for a non-carpenter as I am. cheers Note - apologies to our Finnish friends for my bad spellingView attachment 131169 View attachment 131170
Hmm.
Does it work like a barrel smoker?

Hmm.
Does it work like a barrel smoker?

I think yes, roughly the same function as a propane smoker of whatever sort. I had a Brinkmann charcoal smoker for years but the thermal control was terrible. Even so, it was easy to get a much better capacity for home built as well as being able to use the burner for other applications. Also looks cool on the flagstone, next to our sauna.

lately I did a few favors for a customer of mine , he paid me back today with a smoked ham . his smoker is store bought . it looks like a charcoal grill with a side firebox . He has given me smoked ham in the past . it's always been good, and this time didn't disappoint . I couldn't thank him enough . got the slicer out , and we now have sliced , smoked ,ham .the ends that are to small to slice , we eat some , and dice the rest up and put in omelets .

Attachments

• P4210069.JPG
    P4210069.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 314
  • P4210070.JPG
    P4210070.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 279
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts