Brisket - second pellet smoker attempt

FEENIX

1.jpg

Dry rub for a couple of hours: Alpine Touch Montana's special spice, Himalayan pink salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
2.jpg

I marinated it overnight with fresh cilantro, garlic, red onion, jalapeno, olive oil, ponzu, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sriracha sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
3.jpg

0300 - low and slow with apple smoke pellets. We shall see how it goes ...
4.jpg

5.jpg

Added the leftover marinade + a little bit of BBQ sauce.
6.jpg

1700 - Stopped cooking/resting ...
7.jpg

8.jpg

1800 - Dinner is served. OMG! The flavor profile is fantastic and with just the right amount of smoke. Not too shabby for my second pellet grill experience and first-time brisket endeavor.

Last edited:
The key to brisket that I've learned from competition bbq teams is 190° is the magic temp. Keep that brisket in 190-200° temperature for as long as possible until you hit 120-140° internal.

I use salt and pepper only in my rub....but im from Texas and that's how it's done here. I have used dehydrated apple juice before which is basically apple sugar along with salt and pepper and it made great burnt ends.

This will sound disgusting to some, but I have used a recipe from a friend for briskets, shoulders and large roasts on the BGE.

Inject the meat with bone broth, then coat liberally with a mixture of mayonnaise and Fiesta's Uncle Chris's Steak Seasoning, then smoke over chunks of Pecan that I pick up at the farm out of the orchard. I have a 14" pizza plate that I use to "shield" the meat from direct flame and I set the Digi-Q for a grate temp of 190º to 210º depending on fat and how humid it is outside.

The first time I tried his brisket, I was blown away by the taste and the crust/smoke ring, then when he told me his simple recipe, I was left with conflicted thoughts.

As soon as the retirement home is finished, I will be buying a Yoder smoker to compliment my Egg, maybe even replace it since it's almost 20yrs old.

LOOKS GOOD ALREADY. The way the taste of beef varies in pa I stopped cooking them half the time you cook them they have no meat flavor just the seasoning. Hope you got a good one.
I got this from my base commissary. I have been getting most of my meat there for the last 20 years without any issues thus far. Having said that, I prefer supporting my local butcher when I can.

I don't have a smoker, I need to figure out how I'm gonna cook my beef brisket I have in the freezer. Got it from my parents pasture, should be awesome.....

I don't know about where you live, but here quite a few mom and pop BBQ joints will smoke meat for the public, they charge by the pound, before my dad retired, he'd use the local restaurant to smoke his briskets for him, usually on a Thursday or Friday so he could cut it up and prep it for meals for work.

@FEENIX , what pellet smoker do you have?

Yup, or just put some hardwood chips of choice in a tinfoil pack.

Throw that on the BBQ and poke a hole to aspirate, and it gassifies (smokes) pretty nicely.

(Keep the hole(s) small, too big and it will just ignite)

On a low and slow brisket, you might need a few foil packs.

It's a great way to spice things up and get a little bit of smoke in the meat.

I marinated it overnight with fresh cilantro, garlic, red onion, jalapeno, olive oil, ponzu, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sriracha sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.

I never would of thought to do this, I would have blended it into sauce or chutney thinking it would over power the beef or turn into burnt mush. I didn't say anything earlier cause you eat weird stuff anyhow.

But now you have the brain gears grinding🤔

Recent Posts