Brass undersized by .020” :(

When I do cow I don't put anything in the end of the case. I only full them to the neck shoulder and keep my rifle painting up at an angle. None of the cow falls out of the case. I know for 6ppc some guys just fill the case with powder and fire them with no cow. As far as cam over on presses go. I never cam over hard. I don't want my die hitting the shell holder. Just how I do it and it works for me.
Shep

When I do cow I don't put anything in the end of the case. I only full them to the neck shoulder and keep my rifle painting up at an angle. None of the cow falls out of the case. I know for 6ppc some guys just fill the case with powder and fire them with no cow. As far as cam over on presses go. I never cam over hard. I don't want my die hitting the shell holder. Just how I do it and it works for me.
Shep
I was never that coordinated, I needed the soap

Use a well-lubed elliptical expander ball to bring the neck up to .35, neck it back down to 338 w/ a false shoulder, seat junque bullets out to jam length over a sharp load of pistol powder, fire them [in a rifled barrel of at least 16" in length or a smoothbore barrel of at least 18" in length] (gotta keep things legal here) and resolve to get your tag applications in early for 2021.

One way of getting 'round the barrel length restriction is to weld a false extension on your stub before threading or chambering it so's you're at no time in possession of an under-length barrel. (Sigh! The lengths we go to, to be safe from ... !)

I put a 243 brass in my die with no lube. Was just going to scrunch the neck a little to hold a bullet for seating length. That piece of brass is still in that die. No rim left. No room to tap it out any more. Like it's welded right in there. Or putting powder in 50 cases and then go to seat bullets and powder is drizzling out the bottom. Some stole those primers when I wasn't looking. I know I put them in. 😁
Shep

So I pulled out a box of 50, once fired brass that I had acquire. I prepped per normal but realized the shoulder was pushed back .020" based on a comparator. Never had a shoulder back that far, so here are my options.
1. throw away
2. fire form with a light load and crap bullet
3. make a fire form barrel stub and use pistol powder
Leaning toward #3, but don't want to use up barrel life on #2 or throw away the brass
Here is the question. How much do you think the .020" will affect the life of the brass? And, what would you do to get them back to size?
Thanks
I feel your pain with the price of new brass for that caliber. I have a WBY 340 and if I can find new brass for under $2.00/rd I will stock up with 25 or 50 rounds. I got burned on once fired 5.56 brass. Every round I reloaded would jam. Some so bad that I had to disassemble the gun to get the brass out. Fortunately it was just 5.56 brass. If I recall correctly it was only $.09/rd, so it still just sits on a shelf. Never again will I purchase once fired brass, its just not worth it to me. As for my Ruger 5.56, it has never jammed on factory ammo, even in rapid fire.

Ha. I won't even list the mistakes I've made.
I find your comment on RCBS telling you to cam over. Every die has specific instructions, do you bother to read them. Why, because I have a WBY 340 and the instructions specify that under no circumstance do you cam over with that die. As for a 308 caliber I have 2 and cam over on both. RCBS has been very good to me over the past 4 decades, and I can't find anything negative to comment on. I broke the decapping pin in my 223 die and they replaced it free of charge.

Nothing wrong with RCBS, REDDING, ETC. It's their lawyers😋
By the way, i either jam a bullet to the lands with junk bullets and a modest load, or fireform with shotgun powder and grits. They smell better when getting toasty!

Loaded them up and shot 39 of the 50. Played at 200 to sight in and did a bunch at 500. Lost 7 due to lines around the case (future head separation).
BA59B8B8-0A2D-49E9-A823-1322BEA026EB.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.