Brass sticks after firing

Solaction

I've have a 7MM STW that brass sticks after firing, I have to hit the bolt with my hand to get it to extract. This started after firing some hand loads, factory loads and hand loads are doing this now. I was thinking it was just to hot of a load but the factory loads I shot before with no problems are sticking now too. Thanks for any help y'all can give.

David

How clean is your chamber? How much carbon has built up in your throat? Sometimes you have to get pretty frisky to get the carbon out of the throat, especially with the more overbore calibers.
How much is left of your barrel? Sometimes the throat will heat crack and you will see higher pressures as the drag gets higher...

Simple things first, as implied above, give the whole rifle, not just the barrel, a thorough cleaning.

Does the bolt lift easily but doesn't move rearward easily? Or are both movements difficult? Any shiny places on the brass just in front of the belt?

Does the bolt lift easily but doesn't move rearward easily? Or are both movements difficult? Any shiny places on the brass just in front of the belt?[/QUO

Yes the bolt does lift easy then its hard to pull back. I haven't noticed any shiny spots anywhere on the brass but the neck does get some carbon on it after each shot.

I'll bring a bore scope home from work tomorrow and take a look at it that then give the hole thing a good cleaning.

Last edited:
After firing will a bullet slip into the neck easily?

If no brass is not a problem

If yes either cases are too long and grabbing bullet upon firing or possibly but I doubt that carbon build up may be a problem.

Just guessin'.

I am surprised there is no shiny area on the brass near belt or on the case wall.

All the rifles that I have been around with the rearward removal issue had an anomaly in the chamber. The brass conforms to a rough area or in some instances a low area. When bolt has to forced rearwards it forces that "bulge" in the brass into a smaller diameter area which is the resistance. One rifle was subjected to higher than normal pressures permanently bulging the chamber.

If the brass is work hardened from multiple firings that might be the cause as it won't spring back as much but that should show resistance with bolt opening as well.

Sometimes a light chamber polishing might be all that is necessary. Your borescope may help you locate the issue. Please share with us what you discover.

I had the exact same problem with my 7 mm R mag that I purchased used. I polished the chamber a bit and that fixed it. It amazed me it was that simple.

Does the bolt lift easily but doesn't move rearward easily? Or are both movements difficult? Any shiny places on the brass just in front of the belt?

I ran the bora scope down the chamber and it was a little dirty but not bad. I looked like there was deposits of brass in it. I cleaned and polished a little then looked at it again its clean now. looks a little rough its not shinny like the barrel.
I loaded a piece of brass that had stuck before and worked it a few times to make it really mark the brass and it is scratched right above and has a ring just above the belt. I hope it shows in the picture.
Thanks again for the help with this I've been scratching my head with this for a while.

Attachments

• 7mm stw.jpg
    7mm stw.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 80
I had the same problem with a Remington 700 7mm RM that I bought new after about 60rds and have only shot factory ammo until that point and I haven't shot it since

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.