Bolt Difficulty after Firing!

Beneviolence...
Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated!

I have tried what you have suggested, replacing the bolt, as if there was a cartridge loaded, and dry fired on an empty chamber...

The result, when opening the bolt is a sickening grind that is felt, using more force than would be typical

I do not see any transfer of material, however.

Hey Rich

At the risk of sounding like a drama-queen, I'm sick over this.

Could this just happen, "just like that"??

I've just used a toothbrush to really clean out the area in the receiver where the bolt locks, hoping that there was just a small piece of something, that was boogering-up the works, no good!

I do see some fine circular, markers, in the area of contact in the receiver, they look more like tool marks than anything else.

So, you'd recommend having a smith take a look?

Bitis Arietans,

Yes. Fortunately I was at the 'smith when my acted up. It started after a trigger job and muzzle brake installation. I threw it up to my shoulder and lifted it right off my shoulder when I tried to lift the bolt. He said, "I can't let you leave with it like that! Let me see it." I toss the twenty dollar bill on his bench and said, "That's all I have left after the other work you did." "No sweat. I got ya covered." Then he jokingly told his son, who is looks like a brute, "Grab him by the ankles and shake him. Maybe more money will fall out." In a few minutes it was back to normal.

I suspect you could submerge that bolt in a bucket of oil for about 30 seconds and correct the issue.

At this point I don't believe it's a loading issue at all...

I have tried opening the bolt after dry firing it against a snap cap...and it's difficult to open the bolt!

Have I galled the lugs...Not really sure what that means? I haven't used lug grease. Didn't even know there was such a thing.

Have I ruined this rifle??
take your gun to a smith, if they are galled he can true them and set the barrel back a bit, good as new. or he maybe able to smooth the lugs up and you can still shoot the brass if you don't gain to much headspace just be careful very careful, he can true the lugs and face the receiver and headspace should stay the same maybe I'm not a smith but I would take it to a good smith

I suspect you could submerge that bolt in a bucket of oil for about 30 seconds and correct the issue.

Something similar happened to a new rifle of mine recently. It became difficult to cock the bolt after the firing pin disengaged whether from firing a shot or a dry fire. It seemed gritty like metal on metal. I put some oil on the back of the bolt between the rear sleeve and bolt shroud or cocking assembly that rides sprung on its ramp like shape, if that makes sense. I've attached a pic to give a genereal idea in the circled area. The ol' bolt in a bucket of oil may do it. Be a super easy fix to try.

Attachments

• IMG_0483.JPG
    IMG_0483.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 79
morning, if I can Winchester brass in a caliber of choice I will. next is Lapua.

very good brass, but expensive! just me THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

morning, I had this problem. a product called Tru-flow is a very good lubricant for this type

problem. I use this product on fishing reels, rifle, and pistol parts.

THK. Ulightbulb:)gun)

Have a gunsmith check the rifle and see if he can fix it. If the smith can not fix the problem, there is one solution left.

A full lenght sizing die can not reduce the diameter of a belted case just above the belt but a collet die can. Go to Innovative Technologies (Innovative Technologies - Reloading Equipment) for a cure if the only problem is the case. The die is expensive but it works for me when I need it. Since Weatherby brass is expensive, the die soon paid for itself.

Well i feel it is probably a lubrication issue. Could be the.cocking ramps are rough too though.

The back of the bolt lugs should always be greased with a heavy grease to avoid lug galling.. Just a little now.remember it is the back where the bolt locks up not the front of the bolt.

Do you know how to disasemble your bolt? If so you should. Clean out the inside of the bolt where the firing pin resides with bore cleaner and blow it out with compressed air. Canned air.will work fine. Then lightly lubricate all components and reassembled

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.