Brass for 300 WSM....Norma vs. Nosler vs. Winchester etc?

codyadams

Sourcing stuff for a 300 WSM build, and looking at brass. The best option would seem to be Norma or possibly Nosler, but at more than double the price over Winchester, and pretty hard to source, is it worth it? I feel like I could get nearly 300 pieces of Winchester brass right now for the cost of 100 Norma/Nosler, and sort it and prep it well and have at least 250+ pieces of good brass.

For those that have used different 300 WSM brass, what are your thoughts on Winchester brass in this cartridge? About the only thing that would really turn me off on it is if you loose primer pockets super easy, or if the Norma brass can safely run 100 fps more because of holding up better, but I have no experience with it in this chambering.

Thanks for any input!!

Sourcing stuff for a 300 WSM build, and looking at brass. The best option would seem to be Norma or possibly Nosler, but at more than double the price over Winchester, and pretty hard to source, is it worth it? I feel like I could get nearly 300 pieces of Winchester brass right now for the cost of 100 Norma/Nosler, and sort it and prep it well and have at least 250+ pieces of good brass.

For those that have used different 300 WSM brass, what are your thoughts on Winchester brass in this cartridge? About the only thing that would really turn me off on it is if you loose primer pockets super easy, or if the Norma brass can safely run 100 fps more because of holding up better, but I have no experience with it in this chambering.

Thanks for any input!!
Hi Cody, I bought a proof prefit barrel for my tikka in 300wsm. I bought 200 loaded rounds in norma with 150 ballistic tips. They were 29 a box so I will break my barrel in with them and then have fire formed brass. This route was cheaper than just buying plain brass from most places. I did find plain brass at huntingtons for 66 dollars for 50 pieces. You can read alot about this cartridge at accurate shooter site. It seems almost all of the competition shooters use Norma brass. I think norma makes noslers brass for them. The accurate shooter guys complain about the incosistancy of winchester brass. I based all my decisions about going with norma brass from reading all the accurate shooter threads about 300wsm but have no real experience yet. Should have this up and running in a couple of weeks! Bart from Sheridan

Well I can tell you one thing, I don't recommend Federal. When I had my custom 300 WSM built I stocked up on federal brass. I think I started off by culling about 10% due to 3-4 grain differences in weight. The flash holes were pretty burred up as well. The brass is also super soft. I have ejector marks no matter what pressure I'm running and run into a stiff bolt lift at lower speeds than with Winchester brass. I think I am on my 4th firing with it though and I haven't lost a single pocket. It just takes a lot more work to prep than the Norma brass I use.

I,m using Winchester Brass that that my Good Friend Dog Duey hooked me up with , while its not Norma or Nosler by any means with a little elbow grease its working fine and I'm pushing it rather hard but I am using Hammer Bullets and they are forgiving as far as pressure on the primer pockets

I use Winchester, takes a bit of prep work though. De-burr the flash hole, uniform the pockets, I used to weight sort but no longer do, anneal frequently and it's pretty good. I ran into a problem with Norma brass and I don't know if it's my dies or the brass but after a few firings it felt like I built a donut at the base of the neck with no turning involved. Shame too, I bought 200 pcs and ordered a custom Forster sizer just for that brass/bullet combo.

What I did was buy Norma loaded ammunition since I understand Nosler brass is actually made by Norma. I found it was more cost effective to buy it, use it for honing my basic marksmanship skills and then use it for reloading. I had used new unfired WW brass, WW Nickel brass, Federal Nickel and unfired Nosler brass. The Nosler was the best in regards to lowest ES & SD, all single digits. The WW brass, and the nickel brass were all over the place on ES and SD. I did anneal after each firing and I now will buy Norma ammunition and shoot it for practice and get it's good brass. Just my two cents worth.

Well I can tell you one thing, I don't recommend Federal. When I had my custom 300 WSM built I stocked up on federal brass. I think I started off by culling about 10% due to 3-4 grain differences in weight. The flash holes were pretty burred up as well. The brass is also super soft. I have ejector marks no matter what pressure I'm running and run into a stiff bolt lift at lower speeds than with Winchester brass. I think I am on my 4th firing with it though and I haven't lost a single pocket. It just takes a lot more work to prep than the Norma brass I use.

I had to junk my once fired Federal 300wsm brass as the primer pockets became way to lose just from one firing.

@codyadams I think like anything you get what you pay for, I have not used Winchester in this round & bought Norma as when I did my research it became evident that it was streets above the rest.
Id rather pay the extra to get very good quality which also leads to better performance & longevity!

As for Nosler, I have read that Norma actually makes quite a bit of their brass anyway with Nosler headstamp, which ones I don't know but?

Last edited:
Norma brass is now "discontinued" -- they still show loaded ammo, but not showing the brass and quite a few web sites now say "discontinued by manufacture"

nosler shows "out of stock" but has the option to be notified

any idea if peterson or adg have it "in the works"? it seems to be disappearing fast

anyone used Hor brass? some cartridges are pretty soft in that brand, others seem to be OK

Norma brass is now "discontinued" -- they still show loaded ammo, but not showing the brass and quite a few web sites now say "discontinued by manufacture"

nosler shows "out of stock" but has the option to be notified

any idea if peterson or adg have it "in the works"? it seems to be disappearing fast

anyone used Hor brass? some cartridges are pretty soft in that brand, others seem to be OK
I have found it in stock, but only as a "shooters pack" through midway, in a pack of 100. It is actually cheaper per round to buy loaded norma ammo than norma brass surprisingly. I will call Ben (peterson brass) and ask if he has any plans for 300 WSM.

I have found it in stock, but only as a "shooters pack" through midway, in a pack of 100. It is actually cheaper per round to buy loaded norma ammo than norma brass surprisingly. I will call Ben (peterson brass) and ask if he has any plans for 300 WSM.
Norma's web page does not have any 300wsm brass listed, only ammo-- unless I'm looking in the wrong place so I assumed the shooters packs were only what was left in stock at the distributors -- I'm hoping it's not being discontinued

Wow, the 20 rd boxes of Norma 300WSM 150gr they had at Outdoor LImited were $29.99. 5 of those for ~$150 gets you 100 pieces of brass plus free powder & bullets for 100 rounds. Amazing this brass is so pricey on its own. Too bad Outdoor Limited sold out. Glad I grabbed 5 boxes a few weeks ago.

Wow, the 20 rd boxes of Norma 300WSM 150gr they had at Outdoor LImited were $29.99. 5 of those for ~$150 gets you 100 pieces of brass plus free powder & bullets for 100 rounds. Amazing this brass is so pricey on its own. Too bad Outdoor Limited sold out. Glad I grabbed 5 boxes a few weeks ago.
If we could get a deal like that here I would be stoked & jump on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts