Brass for 300 WSM....Norma vs. Nosler vs. Winchester etc?

I use both Winchester and Nosler brass. As my good friend Butter Bean stated, I sent him some Winchester brass for his new 300 WSM and it's been working just fine. I bought and hoarded all my brass during the "lean" times when components weren't readily available. I mainly use the Nosler and it's really good. I push it hard and get a lot of life out of them. The brass Winchester has put out in the last few years is pretty darn good, too. So, buy what will work for you. The Nosler brass is better, but you need to decide if it's worth the extra money.

I had some issues with some old new stock Win brass so bought 50 pcs of Hornady. So far I like it but it's 14gr heavier than the Win so I had to back off and redo my ladder loads.

I did not measure capacity but it was obvious it was thicker with less volume.

Initial brass prep seemed easier, too.

I use Winchester brass with good results. Last bag I bought (300WM) had 2 or 3 unusable pieces. Emailed Win. They wanted me to send the whole lot to them. I had already processed it, so he wanted the bad and the packaging. Sent it to them. Got a check in the mail for the whole lot and a lil extra. Gonna buy more for the new 300WM coming.

I don't really mind brass prep, I reload as a hobby and for decompression from work and because I enjoy it so if I spend an extra couple hours prepping brass, that aint no thang for me. I just don't want brass that is gonna loose primer pockets or have heavy bolt lift with normal pressure loads. I plan on running 215's, and I may try 230's and the new 245's just for giggles, it is being built on a long action so mag length is a non-issue. I would like to get the 215's over 2900 fps without pushing it in the 24" barrel. Anyone run a load like that with the Winchester brass?

And by the way, According to Ben, Peterson is not going to be making any WSM brass in the foreseeable future. Still waiting to hear back from ADG, but I'm not holding my breath.

I will only run Norma in any of the 300's or 270 WSM's I build, Win brass is garbage!! I'm seeing 2900+ with 215's over R26 in 24 inch barrels and Norma brass. The only other brass I'd work with is Bertram but you gotta work it over, it will take a hammering though.

Brass is a good reason I'm testing the Sherman MAX vs WSM's, if I see the same results I'll just build the MAX and be done with the WSM.

I don't mind the brass prep I LOATHE having to sort out and ending up with half or less of a bag of brass to get long range capable brass that is worth doing the rest of the prep to. When I started with WSM's I wore a barrel out just testing Rem, Win and Norma brass, Rem is by far the toughest and would take a POUNDING needed work to even up, Win failed primer pockets within 3 firings after a pile of sorting, Norma was nearly no sorting or prep with excellent neck tension and as middle in primer pocket life, the Rem brass went 20 firings and just retired it, never lost a primer pocket.

I've had excellent luck with Winchester 300 wsm brass. I had 12 reloads on my last batch of nickel plated cases before I sold the rifle.

these were full house loads @ 2860 FPS 200 gr. Eldx.

no primer pocket issues - maybe I got lucky but I have always had consistent repeatable results with WINbrass.

Well I can tell you one thing, I don't recommend Federal. When I had my custom 300 WSM built I stocked up on federal brass. I think I started off by culling about 10% due to 3-4 grain differences in weight. The flash holes were pretty burred up as well. The brass is also super soft. I have ejector marks no matter what pressure I'm running and run into a stiff bolt lift at lower speeds than with Winchester brass. I think I am on my 4th firing with it though and I haven't lost a single pocket. It just takes a lot more work to prep than the Norma brass I use.
I agree with Ross1147 with regards to Federal brass. They do not seem to have a good quality control policy. I recently purchased 100 pieces of 308 brass and had to throw four out right off the bat due to their necks being misshaped and cracked. The weights were several grains different throughout the lot. The primer holes were burred and the pockets themselves stretched after 1 firing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.