Nosler vs Norma brass for 300 Weatherby?

6x6 elk

Looking to buy some new brass for weatherby 300 mag, 180 gr Accubonds with H-1000. Is one better that the other or last longer, or is it a coin toss between the two? Thanks.

It's all the same.

I have lots of Nosler with one labeled Norma in it.

Though I have not looked at the Nickle range pick up brass yet.

I thought that weatherby used Norma brass?

They do. And they use Norma powder, too.

I was also always told Nosler brass was made by Norma, but can't confirm. I emailed Nosler about 6 months ago and haven't heard back. Guess they don't want to divulge that information. LOL

I use Nosler brass and have no issues. I also use Nosler .300 Wby for forming for my .300 Ackley. Works perfect.

6X6, the Norma/Nosler brass is as good as there is, but my son being on a budget has had very good luck with the Remington brass as well. His Weatherby brass seems to be a bit softer than the Remington brass. Also keep an eye out for the shoulder growth on the 300 Wby usually starts with a slightly tight bolt. Good luck with a good caliber, you will like it.

If the bolt is tight when cycling another round could indicate shoulder growth, usually the full length resizing die will bump the shoulder back into spec. My son experienced this with some hot loads and has since found a more accurate load with less pressure. The shoulder will grow from other reasons also, but FL resizing usually keeps this in check. There is a lot written on the subject here with how to's, try the custom search top right. Good luck

6X6, the Norma/Nosler brass is as good as there is, but my son being on a budget has had very good luck with the Remington brass as well. His Weatherby brass seems to be a bit softer than the Remington brass. Also keep an eye out for the shoulder growth on the 300 Wby usually starts with a slightly tight bolt. Good luck with a good caliber, you will like it.

This is where the .300 Ackley conversion comes in handy. 40* rectangular shoulder. No more radius shoulder or horrible shoulder-growth.

It might be worth you looking into if he keeps having brass growth issues with it.

I purchased some once fired weatherby brass, factory from weatherby, ran through my Lee full lengt sizing die, and they would not chamber in my rifle. The bolt would not close. I am new to reloading, called the company that I purchased them from, and they directed me to Speer to help out. They told me to soot up the case and see where It's binding. Only place I saw was at the base, so I re- sized again, still the bolt would not close. Called Speer back, they said I would need to take my shell holder to a machine shop, and have it ground back. Too much work for 1 box of brass. So I reloaded some once fired brass I bought at a gun show, and they reloaded fine. I won't be buying anymore 1x fired brass from weatherby again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.