Brand new Bergera 300 win mag not shooting accurately

@Les in Wyoming , is it the HMR you have and are using the factory muzzle brake? If so there is a run of them that has too fine a tolerance in the diameter of the bore of the brake and caused major accuracy issues on some of the rifles. Bergara state a preferred 30thou clearance, a couple I shot had 4thou.
Shoot a group without the brake and compare it to a previous known group. 1 rifle got sent back as the best I got was 2" at 100yd

Bergara has sugested ammo per caliber on their website.just google what ammo for my Bergara Rifle click on the prompt see the list.Start with the basics when trouble shooting a rifle accuracy issue, scope, torque specs, muzzle device, factory ammo,barrel contact..... etc.But contact Nate first .Seems I remember a thread like this 4 months ago.🤔

Have and am working on a "best" load with my Bergara, HMR-PRO in the 300 WM. After sighing in the Scope (4.5x14x50) loopy. Shooting a "small bore" 50 meter, reduced for 50' and shot at 100 yds. As one might see, not bad for New, out of the Box and under 100 rounds down range. Might get "better"?

Attachments

• FB74A47D-7203-456A-BE75-76204264D98E.jpeg
    FB74A47D-7203-456A-BE75-76204264D98E.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 176A4FC5-129D-402E-8AB5-C86D5EB0533A.jpeg
    176A4FC5-129D-402E-8AB5-C86D5EB0533A.jpeg
    640.5 KB · Views: 184
My HMR 300wm has shot better than I could have hoped for, first trip to the range it shot great and at 120 rounds its still shooting great. This things not just a paper puncher, it's put 2 Elk in the freezer in the last 2 years.
300wm load 120-123.jpg
300 win mag load.png

@Pauleye I'm not sure any factory warrants handloaded ammo or damage arising from such ie...overcharge, squib etc. Most state that including handgun manufacturers as a liability disclaimer. Not wanting to start an issue to derail this thread, but those are the facts. Get with Nate he just went through this a couple of months ago on this forum he will take care of you.The other poster it turns out had a scope issue, not a rifle issue.

Hi Les,
I bought a Bergara B14 HMR 300 win.mag a couple years ago and absolutley love it, and it is a great shooting gun. I'm running Gunwerx brass, cci Lg. Rifle Mag. Primers, 76.5 grs. H-1000, pushing a Hornady 212 gr. Eldx . Loaded to Mag. Length. Sub MOA out to 500 for me

Greetings. I am new to this forum. It was recommended to me, that I might find some answers here. This is my first 300 win mag. It has been a long time coming, waiting and saving. It was a big day to bring it home. Bought two different kinds of federal ammo (it is all they had). Best group was about 3" at 100. Most were worse. I was very VERY put out. From everything I heard, these were tack drivers. I am using a vortex viper 6.5 x 20 scope. I used the spent brass and tried several loads. I am shooting 180 Gr. Hornady bullets. Tried 76 gr RL22 with 215 Magnum primers. That brought it down to a 2" group. Totally unacceptable. (I bought a sub-moa rifle, not a slug gun.). I use IMR 4350 for 30-06. I have tried several loads with it from 70 grains to 74.5 (WAY too hot!). I got a couple groups that were sort of OK. One was a 2" vertical group, exactly in line with each successive shot going lower. Anyway, I am very frustrated with this. I love everything about this rifle and set up except its apparent lack of accuracy - which everyone raves about in these rifles. Is there an over-the-counter load that I can try that will at least give me a consistent basis to say the rifle is OK? I am very grateful for some load data. The RL22 load I used seems to be common with others, but a 2" triangle at 100 yards is not my idea of accuracy. Many thanks for any help you can give. Les
Had the same problem. Would not shoot factory ammo of any I tried as they claim 1 minute guarantee with factory ammo. Tried different powders an bullets reloading nothing would work. Considered junk and traded in for Christiansen also n 300 wm.

Had the same problem. Would not shoot factory ammo of any I tried as they claim 1 minute guarantee with factory ammo. Tried different powders an bullets reloading nothing would work. Considered junk and traded in for Christiansen also n 300 wm.
I guess every manufacturer produces a lemon, my Premier Ridgeback surpassed their MOA guarantee. My Brown x bolt max long range was awful, but others love their x bolts .

My last 300WM was a B14 Hunter and it was a bonafide 1/2 MOA shooter with 73gr R23/175 LRX. In addition to its factory pillar bedding, I had it skim bedded and about 1 1/2" of the barrel chamber bedded. Torqued to 55 inch pounds.

I know that any doubts about shooting ability that are raised can be contentious. Have you shot any rifles with more recoil than your 30-06. The 300WM has considerably more. With my 375 I always shoot it at the end after using my smaller calibres. I also conjure up a sissy pad so as to not feel any pain. Your subconscious causes a flinch, so avoid any discomfort when shooting.

You have had good feedback, but to isolate the problem, if not the barrel, you need to work through the methods suggested. Scopes are sometimes the main problems, but ensuring proper tight nuts and bolts could be the solution. Check bedding and anything touching the barrel.

Did you perhaps measure speed?
This rifle does not kick at all. It has a muzzle break. I shoot off a bipod and sandbag. I have worked up several rounds. One was accurate. H1000 79 gr. 180 grain btsp. A half grain up or down sprays them everywhere. I also tried ballistic tips same weight. Set kissing the lands. Not As accurate. Also, the best load doesn't seem consistent. How far off the lands do y'all recommend?

Les, sorry to hear you are struggling on the accuracy side of things. I'm going to send you a PM with a few questions and things to try and if that is not an easy fix then I will have one of our Tech Reps reach out to you to take a deeper dive into it. Either way, I can assure you Bergara stands 100% behind it if there is an issue with the rifle. Thanks, Nate
Thanks. I did not receive a pm. Looking forward to it.

This rifle does not kick at all. It has a muzzle break. I shoot off a bipod and sandbag. I have worked up several rounds. One was accurate. H1000 79 gr. 180 grain btsp. A half grain up or down sprays them everywhere. I also tried ballistic tips same weight. Set kissing the lands. Not As accurate. Also, the best load doesn't seem consistent. How far off the lands do y'all recommend?
I was shooting burgers 185 juggernaut in my 300 win .020 jump was the most accurate for me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts