Brand new Bergera 300 win mag not shooting accurately

Les in Wyoming

Greetings. I am new to this forum. It was recommended to me, that I might find some answers here. This is my first 300 win mag. It has been a long time coming, waiting and saving. It was a big day to bring it home. Bought two different kinds of federal ammo (it is all they had). Best group was about 3" at 100. Most were worse. I was very VERY put out. From everything I heard, these were tack drivers. I am using a vortex viper 6.5 x 20 scope. I used the spent brass and tried several loads. I am shooting 180 Gr. Hornady bullets. Tried 76 gr RL22 with 215 Magnum primers. That brought it down to a 2" group. Totally unacceptable. (I bought a sub-moa rifle, not a slug gun.). I use IMR 4350 for 30-06. I have tried several loads with it from 70 grains to 74.5 (WAY too hot!). I got a couple groups that were sort of OK. One was a 2" vertical group, exactly in line with each successive shot going lower. Anyway, I am very frustrated with this. I love everything about this rifle and set up except its apparent lack of accuracy - which everyone raves about in these rifles. Is there an over-the-counter load that I can try that will at least give me a consistent basis to say the rifle is OK? I am very grateful for some load data. The RL22 load I used seems to be common with others, but a 2" triangle at 100 yards is not my idea of accuracy. Many thanks for any help you can give. Les

First, thing I would do is not worry to much just yet about grouping more than I would worry about breaking the barrel in and cleaning between groups. Then start work loads up. Start with measuring your chamber to get your max OGIVE reading. From there I would start at .020 from the lands with my seating depth. Start your loads and work up .5 at a time using a chrono and measuring groups to find what is the best for your gun. Don't limit yourself to a single poweder, try different ones. Personally I use 75.5gr of H1000, 215 primer and Berger 210gr VLD bullet. I'm getting 2880 on the chrono and .55 MOA at 100yards. This is with a Remington Long Range with Timney trigger.

Was there a barrel break in procedure to follow?
Yes. I shot once, cleaned it, shot again, cleaned it, ext for the first several shots. Then I cleaned after ever 3 shots. Then after 5 shots. But I expected some reasonable accuracy while doing this. When it was shooting them everywhere, I was severely disappointed and figured I got a a dud gun or scope. So I shot several without cleaning. I have been running a brush down the barrel with Butches Bore Shine after every 10 shots or so. It is pretty much a 3"moa rifle so far. I appreciate all the help I can get.

Begara guarantees sub-moa. But they don't tell what load or what factory ammo to use to get it. All I want at this point is to see a consistent MOA grouping, whether from a hand load or from factory ammo. This would set my mind at ease.

My first move would be a call to Bergara they will tell you what ammo to try if it does not shoot as expected make sure optics are mounted correctly if they are ship it back to them dont waste a bunch of time and money if it wont shoot their guarantee been hearing alot of this lately dont know if its rifles, optics or operator

Last edited:
My first move would be a call to Bergara they will tell you what ammo to try if it does not shoot as expected make sure optics are mounted correctly if they are ship it back to them dont waste a bunch of time and money if it wont shoot their guarantee been hearing alot of this lately
Thanks. All I have heard is good about them. Everyone that I have talked to thinks it strange, as if they have only known rave feedback on these rifles.

Begara guarantees sub-moa. But they don't tell what load or what factory ammo to use to get it. All I want at this point is to see a consistent MOA grouping, whether from a hand load or from factory ammo. This would set my mind at ease.
Actually they do tell you what loads they will use. Go to their website and you'll find it. I've had horrible luck with bergara and won't buy another. I have a different opinion than some here as I would send the rifle back once you've tried 2-3 factory match loads and 2-3 bullet/ powder combos with reloads. If the rifle won't shoot under 2" groups just send it back. There's no reason for that. As long as your scope is known good on another rifle and your base and rings are good quality and tight, along with the action screws I'd send it back before burning any more components. Trust me, I've been there more than once with a factory rifle, bergara being one of them. In my case they replaced the rifle as it wouldn't shoot and the new one didn't either!

Yes. I shot once, cleaned it, shot again, cleaned it, ext for the first several shots. Then I cleaned after ever 3 shots. Then after 5 shots. But I expected some reasonable accuracy while doing this. When it was shooting them everywhere, I was severely disappointed and figured I got a a dud gun or scope. So I shot several without cleaning. I have been running a brush down the barrel with Butches Bore Shine after every 10 shots or so. It is pretty much a 3"moa rifle so far. I appreciate all the help I can get.
Switch scopes if you have or borrow one. If you installed the rings, double check those for alignment and proper torque.
Re-zero out to 100, close is good enough. If their still spraying, have a buddy shoot it.
Don't forget to check action screws for proper torque.
See what happens.
If bad, call the customer hot line or take it to a smith for their advice.
One of my rifles took 40 rounds to lap out the rough bore. It shoots great now. I was frustrated as well.

Thanks. All I have heard is good about them. Everyone that I have talked to thinks it strange, as if they have only known rave feedback on these rifles.
It seems you either get a great one or not the two I have messed with took 80 to 100 rounds to break in and start shooting okay there is a guy that works for them that shows up on here some time and seems to be very helpful with peoples problems maybe he will show

OK Thanks. I have shot probably 75 rounds through it so far. I keep thinking I will find the golden recipe. Each load affects it differently. A couple of 4350 loads that looked promising did not reproduce the same results when I loaded more. It is not consistent. My 30-06 will shoot a sub-moa group all day long with 59 grains 4350 under a 168 HPBT. Some people say it needs a break in. Some say keep trying different loads. If there is a real good factory load that will prove some consistency, I am willing to try it.

OK Thanks. I have shot probably 75 rounds through it so far. I keep thinking I will find the golden recipe. Each load affects it differently. A couple of 4350 loads that looked promising did not reproduce the same results when I loaded more. It is not consistent. My 30-06 will shoot a sub-moa group all day long with 59 grains 4350 under a 168 HPBT. Some people say it needs a break in. Some say keep trying different loads. If there is a real good factory load that will prove some consistency, I am willing to try it.
which bergara is it?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.