.300 win mag cases, which brand?

trazman

I have to buy new cases for my .300wm, I can choose between this brands: Hornady, Norma, Rws, Sako... Which should I get?

If you choose the RWS it is very strong brass, but also thick and has a lower case volume. I have found that with the RWS I need to run 3 gr less of H-1000, due to the lower case volume, than I do with Norma, Lapua , WW or RP. Norma also made the Lapua head stamp brass this is very good brass but like all Norma brass when running max loads the primer pocket will loosen faster than some other head stamps. I know Hornaday is not real hard either but not sure who makes it. I have no experience with Sako Brass, maybe some one will chime in here that knows it?

So if you want tuff brass the RWS is great and will last a long time. But you may give up a little velocity on top end loads. Some will say that pressure is pressure and when you get to max with both velocity should be equal. My results differ and I can get a little more velocity from a case with a little more volume. I use mostly H-1000 and load heavy for caliber bullets like 210, 215 and 230's in the 300 win. So that could have some baring on my results too.

Jeff

I normally use Norma or Winchester,,,but I just purchased Nosler because that's all I could find.

Graf & Sons has it in stock but it will give you sticker shock.

I've been using Norma with good results. The brass is well made and consistent in neck wall thickness. I haven't weight sorted any yet.
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.