Brand new Bergera 300 win mag not shooting accurately

I don't have experience with Bergara rifles but I do have some with Vortex Viper scopes. I have one that's been back for repairs 2 times and now it's laying on the shelf because I'm afraid to use it. As someone said previously make sure the scope is good.
Regards

I know that any doubts about shooting ability that are raised can be contentious. Have you shot any rifles with more recoil than your 30-06. The 300WM has considerably more. With my 375 I always shoot it at the end after using my smaller calibres. I also conjure up a sissy pad so as to not feel any pain. Your subconscious causes a flinch, so avoid any discomfort when shooting.

You have had good feedback, but to isolate the problem, if not the barrel, you need to work through the methods suggested. Scopes are sometimes the main problems, but ensuring proper tight nuts and bolts could be the solution. Check bedding and anything touching the barrel.

Did you perhaps measure speed?

inconsistency usually points to mechanical issues.
if the gun shoots a 3" group and you can't reproduce the same 3" group, then something else is happening.
I'd start with a different scope and check ALL the screws. then run a series of reloads with increasing powder charges (.3 grains). you should see the groups open and close based on harmonics.
IMO - guns that are "shooters", shoot most everything well and some loads exceptionally well.

I have two in B14 HMR one in 7mm Rem Mag and one in 6.5 Creed, the 7 mag has been very accurate from the first three rounds, same for the 6.5 Creed. I developed a load with the 7 mag that is less than .500 moa at 100 yds, the Grandson loves the rifle, my 6.5 Creed same thing right out of the box and I am in the process of developing a load for it. I would definitely check your action screws and see if they are torqued to the correct setting, if those are good, run a piece of paper down the barrel and stock and see if it is floated to the action, next I would verify the scope torque settings. If all tests good, then try a different scope, and still a problem call Bergara, you have a lifetime warranty.

I have a bergara B14 in 300 Winchester. Shoots sub MOA out to 500 yards. It does have a kick off the bench. I bought a muzzle break and it really tamed the recoil to about 243. Don't even have to hold it. It recoils straight back. I'm going to try to get it out to 1k

Les, sorry to hear you are struggling on the accuracy side of things. I'm going to send you a PM with a few questions and things to try and if that is not an easy fix then I will have one of our Tech Reps reach out to you to take a deeper dive into it. Either way, I can assure you Bergara stands 100% behind it if there is an issue with the rifle. Thanks, Nate

My Bergara 300 Win Mag was getting lousy accuracy too.Just for the hell of it,I put it in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock that I had bedded for one of my Remington 700 Sendero rifles.Next trip to the range I shot these two groups without any prior adjustments or test.Much better than it ever shot before.So it was the stock,not the rifle.It was a perfect drop in for the stock that had been bedded for the Remington too.
ber 200.jpg
ber 180.jpg

I had a SPT HUDU muzzel break put on and made a world of difference. I went from 13.2 on my vortex back down to 9 at 500 yrds. From 2.2 to 0 on my scope at 100 yrds. Scope stays on target. Fixing to upgrade the 3x with a 6x scope to get to 1k yrds. Bergara b14 6.5 creed, ck the youtube video of 300 winn mag, Andy is cheek shooting it with a hudu on it. Amazing breaks.

I have a B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor, 24 " barrel, the rifle shoots well if I do my part will shoot through the same hole at 100 yards with multiple factory ammunition, match and non match, is it perfect nope, but I will keep it. After you trouble shoot your scope, scope-mounts, free-float of your barrel, ensure correct torque of your action consider the following. As you are reloading you might want to check your COAL of your rounds, both 300 win mag rifles I have had grouped better with a COAL of 3.300 to 3.320. one of my rifles shot a load of 180 grain nosler partition, H1000 78.5 grains COAL at 3.322-3.328 grouped about 1/2" at a 100 yards the other rifle shot remington 180 grain green box ammunition with the same grouping of 1/2" groups Remington rounds (multiple boxes) COAL-3.305-3.325(still tying to duplicate this performance with reloads). If my COAL was at 3.34 grouping was poor 2" and above on both 300 win mag rifles Savage and Browning, this was observed on both factory and my reloaded ammunition.

I got a custom rifle put together from an extremely competent gunsmith. Got the rifle, put my nightforce nxs on it and couldn't get it to group better then 3" geoups. I sent the rifle back after months of messing around, they shot it and first load they tried was .3 moa at 100 and 1.1" 5 shot group at 300.

first thing they did was remove my scope and rings and throw one of there's on. They then removed my scope from the rings ans mounted it in there rings and got the same results. Turns out my rings had a manufacturers defect in them. I bought new rings and first 3 loads I tried, shot well into .4 and less and not 1 load above 1moa and that was with 3 different bullets and 2 powders.

I would look at your scope, rings and base first. Make sure everything is tight and working

My 300 Win Mag shoots 180 grain Hornady on IMR-4831with CCI 250 Mag primers under MOA every day, no problems. Most 3 and 5 shot groups result in 1 raged hole. It has a Shilen barrel on an Interarms action in a Brown Precision Stock. The combination is so easy to load for I am surprised you are having problems with loads and/or rifle. My experience with accuracy problems in the 300 Win Mag have never been load problems. As others have said, start with the scope, 1st the mounts then the scope its self. I know of several people that had to send scopes in for repair when shooting the 300WM. That is especially true in lighter weight rifles, the 300WM can be brutal on scopes if the rifle is on the lighter side. The next thing is bedding and factory bedding can be excellent but not always. I have had to redo the bedding on several factory bedding jobs in order to get the rifle shooting. Sometimes it is as easy as removing the action from the stock, cleaning the action screws and threaded holes to make sure there is no debris (metal chips etc.) left from machining. Reinstall and torque the action screws to spec. If it still won't group it is probably time to send it back to the factory.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts