Brake for Remington Mtn Rifle

bkondeff

Have a new Remington Mt Rifle I got last year that shoots very well, puts 168gr bergers downfield at almost 2800fps, which is impressive given the nominal powder and barrel that supports it.

The only real problem is just how whippy the barrel is. This creates accuracy issues depending on the rest, and make seeing what is happening at the target nearly impossible.

So, simple solution is a brake. Right?

I have one other gun with a break and love the ability to be back on target so quickly. Recoil, frankly isn't an issue for me. Though I do have a few new scar's from my Mt Goat this last hunt, but scars are cool right guys.

Anyway, to my big question. Can you put a brake on a barrel this thin(0.55")?

While I am at it. Assuming there is already a good mix of bedding, chamber, and barrel that allows this gun to shoot well in .280, would I assume the accuracy potential to carry forward if I have a good smith cut it to an AI?

There are many muzzle brakes out there with 1/2x32 threads that should work fine with the rifle you describe. The accuracy potention is unlikely to improve but, in most cases, I haven't found that those modifications generate huge accuracy problems. Nevertheless, you'll find you're having to do some work on new load developmnt.
I wouldn't plan on doing any chamber work unless you find a smith a high quality carbide reamers. High speed steel reamers don't like the carbon that typically builds up in the lead.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.