Brake for 270wsm

I am begining a new build in 270wsm and need help w/ brake decision. Some people might not think I would need one but I do. Without going into great detail, I have had several injuries to my rifle shoulder in the past. I cannot tolerate recoil like I used to. I can still shoot just fine but have found that I can only shoot a few rounds before pain becomes too much. I would just like some input, suggestions, etc. on this.

ARE YOU NUTS THIS CALIBER IS LOUD ENOUGH THE WAY IT IS, GET A GOOD RECOIL PAD, RECOIL IS NOT THAT DAD. rICH

The only muzzle brake I have ever used was on my .375 H&H. It was a Gentry Quite Brake installed by Wyoming gunsmith Dale Storey. All I can say is it made that .375 H&H more pleasurable to shoot than my .30-06 and there was not a huge increase in muzzle blast that I could tell. Good luck!

ARE YOU NUTS THIS CALIBER IS LOUD ENOUGH THE WAY IT IS, GET A GOOD RECOIL PAD, RECOIL IS NOT THAT DAD. rICH

Did you read his post? Before I changed the stock my 270 WSM it was at 11.5 lbs and it thumped me so hard one day shooting coyotes that my arm went numb and it took a week of ice to get it to the point I could shoulder a rifle. It can thump you severely if your actually loading it to potential.
It's now at 12.5 lbs and I'm going to put a brake on just to take more recoil of so I can concentrate on other things to bring my skills to the next level.

Sucking up more recoil than you like is counter productive to good shooting skills!!

Did you read his post? Before I changed the stock my 270 WSM it was at 11.5 lbs and it thumped me so hard one day shooting coyotes that my arm went numb and it took a week of ice to get it to the point I could shoulder a rifle. It can thump you severely if your actually loading it to potential.
It's now at 12.5 lbs and I'm going to put a brake on just to take more recoil of so I can concentrate on other things to bring my skills to the next level.

Sucking up more recoil than you like is counter productive to good shooting skills!!

I completely agree. Due to back, knee, and shoulder injuries I won't shoot a rifle without one (and I'm only 32). All the years of running my *** off and carrying a very loaded pack have taken it's toll. I always shoot with earplugs anyway so the extra sound doesn't matter (I gotta save what I have left, **** land mines and demo shoots). It might be more "manly" to not use a break, but I can spot my impacts while the "manly men" aren't even back on target.

Jarhead & Bigngreen said it perfect. Read my post. I am not worried about the noise at all. I have had a lot of injuries to my firing shoulder, and if you must know, all from my time in the military. I will never give up my desire for shooting so I cannot afford the pain any longer. Especially since there are ways to limit it. Thanks again to Jarhead & Bigngreen for speaking up.

If our sending your action to Mcgowan for barrel fitting, then you can order a brake and have them instal at the same time they cut the crown.

Len has 5x8x24 tpi muscle brakes in his store, They will fit muzzle dia. of .675" and larger.

I also have brakes in stock but Len takes CC, I need a check.

The Muscle brake will not disapoint.

Thank you. I will be contacting McGowen to see if I can have the brake sent to them instead of here

jb

I've shot with both the Edwards recoil reducer and a brake on a 11 pound 338 Lapua and I would put a recoil reducer in everything, it really mellows out that very first bit of recoil before the brake.

Do you have a preference for recoil reducers? Mercury or mechanical? I guess the gunsmith would drill the stock and install

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.