270wsm

What states can I hunt elk in with a 22 centerfire? I'll have to try that next time.
Lots of states allow big game to be killed with a .22 centerfire BTW...that includes moose. Have at it bud.

Alabama- centerfire rifle or pistol using mushrooming ammo
Alaska- http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.firearms
Alberta- .23 and up centerfire
Arizona- centerfire
Arkansas- http://www.agfc.com/hunting/pages/huntingregulationsdeer.aspx#Legal Hunting Equipment
California- centerfire rifles, centerfire handguns with min. 4" barrel
Colorado- .24 and up, 70grn or larger bullet/ minimum of 1000ft/lbs at 100 yards
Connecticut- .243 and up if legal in your area
Delaware- shotgun/muzzle loader
Florida- centerfire
Georgia- .22 and up centerfire
Hawaii- Any rifle with at least 1200 ft/lbs of ME. This would start at around .223 I think
Idaho- Centerfire (cannot weigh more than 16 lbs?)
Illinois- Shotgun/ML/Pistol only
Indiana- http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/hunting/deer-regulations/
Iowa- .24 or larger centerfire only for antlerless season in part of the state.
Kansas- http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hunting/Hunting-Regulations/Deer/Legal-Equipment
Louisiana- .22 and up centerfire
Maine- .22 magnum rimfire and up!
Manitoba- Centerfire, but it says .23 and below not recommended. Does not say illegal though.
Maryland- ME of at least 1200 ft/lbs
Mass- Shotgun/ML
Michigan- centerfire in certain areas
Minnesota- .220 and up centerfire
Mississippi- No restrictions that I could find
Missouri- centerfire
Montana- No restrictions
Nebraska- Rifles with 900 ft/lbs or more at 100 yards
Nevada- .22 centerfire and up
New Hampshire- centerfire
New Jersey- shotgun or muzzleloader
New Mexico- centerfire
New York- centerfire
North Carolina- No restrictions
North Dakota- .22-.49 centerfire
Nova Scotia- .23 and up
Ohio- Shotgun/ML
Oklahoma- centerfire with 55 grn or heavier bullet
Ontario- centerfire
Oregon- .22 centerfire and up
Pennsylvania- centerfire
Quebec- 6mm/.243 and up
Rhode Island- shotgun/ML
Saskatchewan- .24 and up
South Carolina- centerfire
South Dakota- rifles with 1,000 ft/lbs or more ME
Tennessee- centerfire
Texas- centerfire
Utah- centerfire
vermont- No restriction
Virginia- .23 centerfire and up
Washington- .24 centerfire and up
West Virginia- .25 rimfire and up and all centerfire
Wisconsin- .22 centerfire and up
Wyoming- .23 centerfire and up

Last edited:
Have you ever stood in a beaver pond up to your chin in October trying to figure out how to get it a half mile through the water and briars thick enough to rip your clothes off yet? Moose are one of the few animals I don't use a smallish caliber on and it has nothing to do with killing ability. I've done the above 2 times using a 300 wby with a 200 gn partition the first time and a 200 hot cor speer the 2nd. Both bulls were dead on their feet 1 went into a beaver pond the other a river. The area has a no motorized vehicle rule off the fire road. The first I said I'd never do it again. The 2nd I finally listened

Yeah...I get it, but I had a 2 pt mule deer run 200 yards after being pummeled with a 300 rum and 215gr bergers at 205 yds. Just cuz you shoot large calibers relative to the game you hunt doesn't mean they are going to have their legs come out from under them and be DRT

Been in on dozens of moose taken with 270win. I strongly recommend the 160gr partition (+1). Given typical moose habitat, presentation isn't always perfect, and penetration can be your friend.

If you can wait for broadside, through the ribs, I'm sure the ELD-X will be fine. Are you willing to pass on a moose that doesn't give you a perfect shot?

In BC one can hunt elk with a .22 cal. It actually works pretty good if you get close and put the bullet in the right place.

Big difference between a subsistence hunt and a trophy hunt though. Not sure where you guys are trying to take the discussion... :rolleyes:

Will you be using a guide for this moose hunt? If so, it wouldn't hurt to ask him of his opinion/recommendation. I built 2 rifles for guys going on a guided hunt. One was a .338 Win. and the other a .375 H&H. Why big calibers? Because their hunt was in big bear country, with the possibility of having to stop a pizzed-off Griz. Both took their quarry, and the .375 went with its owner to Africa where it also did its job several times.
No I wont be using any guide...I live in Newfoundland..and have a license every second year...I used the 270 win for years using the 150 grain Remington coreloct and very few moose walked away from me...so I can only see the.270 wsm being even better ...

While your 270WSM is a fine choice ,& that 145 would do the job , there's better proven bullets ,Barnes makes the Tripple shocks Tsx's and mite make a Tipped Tripple shock Ttsx, as mentioned Nosler makes the partition in 130,140,150,160 weights , Then there's the Bonded bullets Swifts A-Frames & Scricco's,Winchester got a new bullet out ,Federals got their Bonded Bullets in factory form & Components for reloading ,Australia makes theWoodleigh available at Mid-Way . There's also the Hammer bullets , lots of members like them and use them Very successfully . I own one & reload for it also , a Great friend is taking his 270 wsm Moose hunting to Newfoundland this Oct & he's shot his 150 Tsx's to 500 yards ,Best of luck Enjoy your hunt & the Memories it brings !!!
That's where I live in Newfoundland..get a license every second year

Hey
I guess you know the animal like I do. I live in PQ where mooses are like yours. First hand experience, not speculation, I have kill them with arrows, 270wsm, 30-06 and 300Wby. For the wsm, I use and like the 160 Partition.

I seriously doubt Jack O'Connor felt under-gunned with his 270WIN....
Last elk I shot was at 465yds with a 270WSM and a 150gr Sierra Game King. Broke both front legs and breastbone. Made it 10 yds.
First elk I shot was at 105yds same bullet, same rifle. Bang/flop behind the shoulder. Kicked 3 times on the ground, then done.

You'll like the 270WSM. My elk guide's wife shoots only that and the guide swears by it.
145ELD-X in a standard 270WIN is an outstanding choice for deer. I might have to go with a tougher bullet for moose though.

The .270WSM wouldn't be my first choice. Shot placement would be critical, but it always is. Your average sized bull will be in the 1500# to 1800# range, that's twice the weight of your average Rocky Mountain bull elk. Size matters, and bull moose are known to be on the ornery side, sometimes.
Caliber is very capable. My lives in AK and has great success with 130gr Barnes Ttsx. I'm not an Eldx fan, seen several come apart and failed to penetrate.
A 140 Accubond would also be a great choice.

Lots of Moose have been taken in the North West with 270's,,, and 100's of other cartridges larger and smaller...

I agree,,, everyone talks about the charging Grizzly yet very few people actually have tags...

More humans have been injured and or become fatalities do to Moose attacks where they roam... Most feared furry critters going is the Kow Moose... LOL

Pizzed off like real gals... LOL

A few years ago the world record Bull Moose was harvested with a British Lee Enfield 303,,, Old military army surplus with iron sights at 38 yards...

I'm going on a Moose and Elk hunt this year with a 6.5 caliber rifle this year in Grizzly Bear country,,, We crossed paths with a young one last week,,, the trick is bear """wizer""" in their territories...

Another thing that comes to mind is where the OP is going Moose hunting,,, most USA states and a large portion of Canada don't have big browns or Grizzlies... LOL...

If you fear the sharp tooth furry critters,,, it might be wize to stay at home or find options to deal with them... Sounds simple to the rest of us that put on the miles with boots on the ground...

Cheers from the North

Anyone have any experience moose hunting with this calibre. I have shot lots wit 270 win...thinking the wsm should be even better, using 145 grain hornady eldx
I use a 165 grain Hornady last 36 moose have went down with that round it's great

I've read all the posts to date and see quite the uproar over how big your rifle & bullets needs to be. I've never shot a moose, elk or any bears. I know a man who left here (Nebraska) and moved to Canada, became a resident and he and his family still live there. He has shot a moose about every year for about 50yrs and a "few" bears but I don't know what kind or size. I also don't know what he means by a "few" but he said bears are not good to eat and he would not have shot them but they were problem bears. The only gun he uses is a sporter-ized surplus .303. loaded with 180 gr RNSP for all of his shooting requiring a high power rifle. He does not reload ammo because a box of 20 will last him 3 or 4 years. When he buys ammo, he buys a lot. Maybe as many as 4 boxes at a time. For me that would be 2 or 3 trips to the range, but then, I own and operate a commercial rifle range. To quote my Canadian friend, "a good 303 to the brain barn is always better than a 458 WIN mag that missed the whole damned thing".
Having said all the above, the biggest rifle I have is a 30-06 and about 40 others including a whole hurd of rimfires. But then. like most of you, I just like to shoot.

Anyone have any experience moose hunting with this calibre. I have shot lots wit 270 win...thinking the wsm should be even better, using 145 grain hornady eldx
It will work just fine...no worries. And as for Moose weighing 1500-1800 lbs....
Only in Alaska! .the 270 WSM is a nice cartridge

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.