Brake for 270wsm

jbcarter88

I am begining a new build in 270wsm and need help w/ brake decision. Some people might not think I would need one but I do. Without going into great detail, I have had several injuries to my rifle shoulder in the past. I cannot tolerate recoil like I used to. I can still shoot just fine but have found that I can only shoot a few rounds before pain becomes too much. I would just like some input, suggestions, etc. on this.

I'm leaning towards the same build. I've read some good reviews of the recoil reducers that are installed in the stock butt. Particularly the Edwards Recoil Reducer. This is a mechanical reducer, some are mercury filled.

EDWARDS RECOIL REDUCER : EDWARDS RECOIL REDUCER - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Reduces recoil while adding less weight, less length and no ear deafening report found with a brake. All for $60.

I'm interested to here the responses.

I have mercury recoil reducers for my Benelli duck gun and my Browning skeet gun. The Benelli reducer replaced the fore end cap, the Browning reducer is in the stock. I also added weight to the Benelli stock. The recoil reduction is amazing, but I'm not sure if it's the mercury or just the overall weight added.

Back on topic. I have a CSR (Center Shot Rifles), by Jim See, brake on my 7mm SAUM. I won't shoot a rifle without one. My rifle recoils so little that I can spot my impacts at about 300 yds. Jim's 3 port brake would be perfect for your 270 WSM, and he is a great guy to do business with. Check them out.

Thanks for the info Marine. Have you ever noticed any difference in long range accuracy with the brake. I need to reduce recoil as much as possible w/ out giving up accuracy. I'm not concerned at all with the noise. Thanks for your input.

jb

Thanks for the info Marine. Have you ever noticed any difference in long range accuracy with the brake. I need to reduce recoil as much as possible w/ out giving up accuracy. I'm not concerned at all with the noise. Thanks for your input.

jb

I don't have anything to compare the accuracy with/without the brake. With the load I was shooting my best group was 1 3/8" at 600 yds. While working up a new load I shot .89" group at 300 yds under less than ideal conditions. All the animals we (the wife and I) shot last year we could see the bullet impact.

I've shot with both the Edwards recoil reducer and a brake on a 11 pound 338 Lapua and I would put a recoil reducer in everything, it really mellows out that very first bit of recoil before the brake.

I'm going to put the Edwards and more than likely Jim See's brake on my next 270 WSM barrel, I like the way Jim has the first port shearing of the gas coming back from the front two ports. I think Len has them in the LRH store also.

Thanks for the info, men. One question: If I get a muscle brake and I am getting a McGowen barrel, Who does brake installation? Center shot or McGowen?

You want the brake installed by who ever sets the head spacing because you'll clock a baffle style brake.

Sounding like a good build, feel free to share more details :D

You want the brake installed by who ever sets the head spacing because you'll clock a baffle style brake.

Sounding like a good build, feel free to share more details :D[/QUOTE]

My gunsmith was gonna do headspace, but I thought manufacture had to install. Please forgive me if I sound naive since this is my first custom build. I will definitly being sharing the details with you when this gets underway. (very soon). It's the least I can do since I am learning more everyday with your help and advise. Thanks

jb

I would have Jim See do the entire build. Then again I may be a little bias. :D

Nothing wrong w/ being a little biased. Thanks for your help. It is very appreciated.

Have you checked out the painkiller break by aps i have a three port on a 270 amp and i dont think it kicks any worse than my 22 250

If our sending your action to Mcgowan for barrel fitting, then you can order a brake and have them instal at the same time they cut the crown.

Len has 5x8x24 tpi muscle brakes in his store, They will fit muzzle dia. of .675" and larger.

I also have brakes in stock but Len takes CC, I need a check.

The Muscle brake will not disapoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.