Boyd's stocks: worth the investment?

megastink

I have a Savage Axis project that's half complete. I mounted the SWFA SS last night. It's needs a new stock before load development. I could spend $400 and get a MDT chassis for it (along with another $200 in parts), but in the interest of the almighty dollar, I'm considering a Boyd's Prairie Hunter. I'll have to pillar bed it, but that can be done with $10 and some elbow grease.

I have read some God Awful reviews on Boyd's shipping time and customer service. I don't want to wait three to eight weeks to finish my project. Here's the question:

Can I order a Boyd's from another source with better CS and faster shipping? If I have to order from Boyd's directly I fear I may never get it. What should I do?

I have a Savage Axis project that's half complete. I mounted the SWFA SS last night. It's needs a new stock before load development. I could spend $400 and get a MDT chassis for it (along with another $200 in parts), but in the interest of the almighty dollar, I'm considering a Boyd's Prairie Hunter. I'll have to pillar bed it, but that can be done with $10 and some elbow grease.

I have read some God Awful reviews on Boyd's shipping time and customer service. I don't want to wait three to eight weeks to finish my project. Here's the question:

Can I order a Boyd's from another source with better CS and faster shipping? If I have to order from Boyd's directly I fear I may never get it. What should I do?
I have prairie hunter laminate stocks on two rifles. One I just acquired today- a ruger american in 6.5 creedmore... The other is my remmy 700lh 7stw... neither have been pillar bedded and both are very good shooters... I ordered my stock from Boyds and it came in fine but was shipped to Lincoln Nebraska first... The creedmore was my brother's rifle and he ordered the stock directly from them too... He needed different v-blocks but the stock came in fine and needed little fitment...

Boyds' Stocks | Make & Model Parts -MidwayUSA

midway has some boyds but I don't see the prairie hunter

My brother has the thumb hole stock from Boyds on a Savage Axis 25/06 and it shoots good but I think he would do better with the aftermarket front bedding lug and piller kit you can get from V3 Tactical about $30.00.

My brother has the thumb hole stock from Boyds on a Savage Axis 25/06 and it shoots good but I think he would do better with the aftermarket front bedding lug and piller kit you can get from V3 Tactical about $30.00.

You can make your own pillars out of aluminum spacers for about $5. I plan on pillar bedding if I get a Boyd's. My question is: where can I get one sooner than later?

m, on a budget the Boyd's is a very strong stock. I've bedded a couple dozen and they shoot very well. The prices have risen a bit over the last couple years, but still a decent value. I've read on this forum several have had issues of various reasons. Two things I've found especially on Boyd's is they need bedding and close checking of the inletting prior to. BTW, I really like their Pro-Varmint model. Good luck

I have three ProVarmint stocks. I agree with Dosh about bedding and inletting.
If you are handy with a Dremal and sandpaper, you can usually have a stock ready for bedding in about a hour.
One thing for sure, the wait times have gotten longer. The first stock was about two weeks, the third stock was six weeks.
I pretty much just ordered it and for got about it... Then one day I got a email confirmation for shipping...

I have three of the Pro Varmint stocks too.Just a little bedding which I was going to do anyway and they were good to go.Great stock for the money and yes,my rifles suffered no loss in accuracy with them.

I have three of the Pro Varmint stocks too.Just a little bedding which I was going to do anyway and they were good to go.Great stock for the money and yes,my rifles suffered no loss in accuracy with them.

If anything, I would hope they GAINED in accuracy.

I ordered a Boyd's laminate thumbhole for my Savage 110 and it took 9 days to get here. Fit was all right, a little on the loose side which is fine because I'm bedding it. I made titanium pillars for it and just set those last night. The rear steel cross pin ends up pretty close to a .450 diameter pillar. The stock Boyd's recoil pad is in no way shape or form a recoil pad

These three rifles are bughole shooters and they still are bughole shooters.What I meant was,you can only improve so much and after that it's shooter error.

You can make your own pillars out of aluminum spacers for about $5. I plan on pillar bedding if I get a Boyd's. My question is: where can I get one sooner than later?

If you can pillar bed it yourself for $5.00 go for it! It took my brother about 2 weeks to get his last summer ordered direct from Boyds. I think he paid somewhere around $140.00

Megastink,

My question is: where can I get one sooner than later?

I did some checking and did not see any of the Prairie Hunter for the Axis. So if you want one of these, call Boyds' and get your order in.

The alternative is to look at Stockysstocks to see if any of their laminates fit your desire. You can check stock right away from their website then it's just shipping time.

Regards.

Megastink,

I did some checking and did not see any of the Prairie Hunter for the Axis. So if you want one of these, call Boyds' and get your order in.

The alternative is to look at Stockysstocks to see if any of their laminates fit your desire. You can check stock right away from their website then it's just shipping time.

Regards.

They sure do.

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 288
I ordered a Boyd's laminate thumbhole for my Savage 110 and it took 9 days to get here. Fit was all right, a little on the loose side which is fine because I'm bedding it. I made titanium pillars for it and just set those last night. The rear steel cross pin ends up pretty close to a .450 diameter pillar. The stock Boyd's recoil pad is in no way shape or form a recoil pad

GordO is right, the Boyd's pad is thin hard rubber. They offer a Limbsaver pad installed for less than you can buy one at a shop and a good variety of laser checkering.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.