Bought a Noreen 50 BMG ULR today

Jdr9941

Question about mounting a scope. What kind of range can I get with a flat rail or should I go ahead and get a 30 degree MOA mount to get out past 1000 yds? I guess depends on a scope too. I'm new to LR shooting out past 500 yds. Am I over thinking this?

I guess depends on a scope too.
Exactly. You don't even need a down-angle base for a .50 at 1000 yards. Drop is only 20-25 minutes (40 ish at 1500, 65 ish at 2000) Any quality scope capable of handling the recoil without getting the guts knocked loose should have more than that adjustment available. 30 minutes down will get you to 2K with most scopes, but you want to consider adjustment range in conjunction with the range you're shooting and your base.
Looked on their site and it doesn't appear to offer any options for down-angle rails, nor do they specify what's provided with the rifle.

Curious, why a .50 for your first long range rifle?

Exactly. You don't even need a down-angle base for a .50 at 1000 yards. Drop is only 20-25 minutes. Any quality scope capable of handling the recoil without getting the guts knocked loose should have more than that adjustment available.
Looked on their site and it doesn't appear to offer any options for down-angle rails, nor do they specify what's provided with the rifle.

Curious, why a .50 for your first long range rifle?
I had a friend offer it up way cheaper than I could buy it for anywhere else. So that's how I ended up with it. I have a 6.5 PRC that I mainly shoot.

I had a friend offer it up way cheaper than I could buy it for anywhere else. So that's how I ended up with it. I have a 6.5 PRC that I mainly shoot.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know what to expect. In KY we don't have a lot of area for anything out past 1000 yds. So I really didn't know what I needed to do to get this heavy sucker out that distance or if stock was good enough.

Well depends on your scope and what bullets you are shooting for drop at a certain range. Yes for sure a 30MOA rail will be better than a "0" MOA. Take a look at some ballistic charts to see the bullet drop. There are several plug & play programs on the internet where you can put in the caliber, velocity & weight of the Bullet just to give you an idea of the drop.
650 gr, 2,700 fps @1,000yrds you will need about 28 MOA, 1,500yds 54MOA. This is just a guesstimate.

Last edited:
Well depends on your scope and what bullets you are shooting for drop at a certain range. Yes for sure a 30MOA rail will be better than a "0" MOA. Take a look at some ballistic charts to see the bullet drop. There are several plug & play programs on the internet where you can put in the caliber, velocity & weight of the Bullet just to give you an idea of the drop.
Thanks this all new to me. I'm learning to learn here.

I had a friend offer it up way cheaper than I could buy it for anywhere else.
Pretty common for big boomers.
Impulse buys for some, then they realize it's $5-$6 every time they pull the trigger and the "cool" factor disappears...

Pretty common for big boomers.
Impulse buys for some, then they realize it's $5-$6 every time they pull the trigger and the "cool" factor disappears...
Exactly my friends situation. I knew what the cost was going to be. Just learning the ins and outs of LR shooting is somewhat new to me. Longest shot I've ever made has been 500-600 yards consistently. Have to start somewhere. Everyone was green at one time or the other. I'm definitely green on a lot of the LR stuff.