Bore Tech Eliminator

goodgrouper

I had a chance to use this product over the weekend and was impressed. Next to Coppermelt (which seems to be done for awhile) this Eliminator works better than anything else I've used. It doesn't smell too bad, and contains no ammonia. It is water soluable and beats the pants off Wipeout and Butch's Bore shine in the cleaning time department. Wipeout is too messy and can't be used to clean inbetween shoots (unless the accelerator is used) but Eliminator will clean choked up barrels in about half the time. I even tried it in a barrel that was supposedly "clean" that had been scrubbed for 15 minutes with Butch's and Eliminator showed two lands that had just a hint of copper left in there.

Once the supply of Coppermelt runs out, Bore tech Eliminator will be the copper remover of choice for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wipe out is certainly something you don't want to take to the range with you for a fast cleaning thats for sure. It is a little messy too.

Does the BT Eliminator remove carbon fouling too? If it does I would buy some to try.

Thanks
Frank D

I was using the Eliminator in 2004 and thought it was working very good. At the nationals, Tim North (Broghton barresl) had his borescope set up with video and looked at my barrel after I just cleaned it and it looked like a "gold mine" in their.

Danny Huffman from Montana Extreme was there and gave me a bottle of their new 50 BMG. took it back and ran it in the bore and let it set. Guy on the bench next to me asked "what did I just put in my bore as solid blue was running out of it."

Bottom line is 10 minutes later the borescope showed absolutely no copper with the 50 BMG.

I and most other 1k shooters are using BMG over the eliminator.

Montana Extreme has a copper creme that cuts carbon and moly that is great also.

BH

I'm a satisfied 50 BMG user too. You just have to be careful around the stuff since it's so strong. You definitely don't want to put your nose over an open bottle of it.

One thing I have found with 50 BMG is that it's so strong you can get blue color on your patches from your jags and even nylon brushes if they have a brass core. I now apply it using a bore mop with steel core. Then to test for sure whether there's copper present, after about 10 minutes I push a patch through with the mop. This way I get no false indications from a brass jag.

For fast cleaning sessions, that 50-BMG is awesome. Ive got a whole lot of cleaning solvents collecting duts because of that stuff. Sweets, CR-10, coppermelt (not technically gathering dust... went to another shooter), Boretech elliminator, hoppes BR copper solvent, Shooters choice, proshot3, and 4 copper solvents... and probably another one or two that ive forgot. Wipeout (with accelerator) and 50-bmg is all that see the light of day when its time to tackle copper fouling these days.

Wipeout is indeed good but not if you need to clean at the range quick. 50 bmg is good too but must be used outside lest ye lose your wallpaper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Coppermelt and Eliminator don't have those problems. But what the heck do I know, I just clean guns for a living. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wipeout is indeed good but not if you need to clean at the range quick.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah-Men to that. Those who say you can use it in the field are obviously BR types not in touch with LR reality. (ie, they don't have muzzle breaks as the BR text book world reject them).
[ QUOTE ]

50 bmg is good too but must be used outside lest ye lose your wallpaper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. For example I have two high speed volume fans (sealed) to the windows on the west side of my loading room blowing fresh air in, and two high capacity fans on the west side blowing out (again sealed to force the air thru the room). I get a nice 15 MPH wind blowing thru and the fumes don't bother me.

Being a journeyman painter, I also have high end respirators should I choose to not use the fans and empty my house at the same time. Next time your boring neighbors drop by to borrow some tool, just open up a bottle of Montana X-treme's 50 BMG and you've killed two stoned neighbors with one jar.

50_bmg_small.gif

Two and 1/2 years later what are you guys now using? Is Bore Tech Eliminator still top dog or has anyone found another product(s) that they prefer?

Three products I continue to read about with generally good feedback are Bore Tech Eliminator, KG Products, and Warthog. Anyone used all of these yet? Or two of them. How do they compare?

I have used bore tech for the last year and am very happy with it. I won't put another ammonia based cleaner in my barrels.

When I brake in new custom barrels I push one patch thru every 10-15 minutes giving it a little time to work. Goes somthing like this, 1st shot 7-8 patches, (no brushes). 2nd shot 5-6 patches, 3rd shot 3-4 patches. shoot 10-20 rounds 3-4 patches. It does take out some of the carbon fouling.

After about every 300-500 rounds (depending on cartrige) I use 2 patches of Iosso with about 4 strokes and any residual carbon is gone.

I do bore scope the many guns I clean and the stuff works great and dosen't give you a buzz.

Some people believe the heavy ammonia based cleaners can etch the bore and open pores that will cause more fouling. Weather true or not I find that the rifles I use eliminator in, foul minimally and some get shot 50-100 times between cleanings and still clean up with just a few patches. If your lazy run 2 consecutive patches thru the bore and let it sit over night in the am do one more patch. Unless you have a copper mine in there you should be done.

You guys that like 50 bmg, I have a half dozen bottles on the shelf, You can have them all shipped conus for 36 bucks.

Last edited:
For fast cleaning sessions, that 50-BMG is awesome. Ive got a whole lot of cleaning solvents collecting duts because of that stuff. Sweets, CR-10, coppermelt (not technically gathering dust... went to another shooter), Boretech elliminator, hoppes BR copper solvent, Shooters choice, proshot3, and 4 copper solvents... and probably another one or two that ive forgot. Wipeout (with accelerator) and 50-bmg is all that see the light of day when its time to tackle copper fouling these days.

New to this board, first post! I too have a large collection of bore cleaners "gathering dust", a few years ago I did a test, not in a barrel, but on the bench. I took 8-10 30 cal bullets, placed each on on a white coffee filter and put one drop of each of my miracle cleaners on each bullet (labeled each), and then let set over night. It became very obvious which cleaners take care of copper and which do not. This semi-scientific test was a bit of an eye opener. It did not test carbon, or other bi-products just the copper jacket. Give it a try you'll be surprised.

New to this board, first post! I too have a large collection of bore cleaners "gathering dust", a few years ago I did a test, not in a barrel, but on the bench. I took 8-10 30 cal bullets, placed each on on a white coffee filter and put one drop of each of my miracle cleaners on each bullet (labeled each), and then let set over night. It became very obvious which cleaners take care of copper and which do not. This semi-scientific test was a bit of an eye opener. It did not test carbon, or other bi-products just the copper jacket. Give it a try you'll be surprised.

That a good Idea! Would you mind sharing your findings and what products you tested?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts