Bore Solvents?

kc

Do you use any Bore Solvents if so what make and why?

I think this is a good question. we should know will this damage the bore of our rifles if we us this stuff

Two wet patches of Butch's, dry it out. Then about 20 strokes with a Nylon brush loaded with Bore Tech Eliminator. Let it sit for an hour or so. Clean it out. If powder fouling or copper remains, I use JB paste, stroke it about 50 times, clean it out and check effectiveness with Sweet's 7.62..

I have not seen any bore damage, but this needs to be checked with a bore scope and I do not have one.

I've been satisfied with KG's system, BBS, and a few home made brews I've obtained. Shooters Choice/Kroil mix has worked ok in a couple of rifles. I think it is rather mild but my experience has told me that it's the bore stroking with a brush and a patch covered brush that get the job done primarily, regardless of solvent. Montana 50BMG, works, Wipeout and Gunslick foam work ok but they are not miracle foams in my experience. Bore scope checks have proven that in the rifles I've looked in. I've still had to brush the bore just as much as anything else when using foam cleaners.

Bore Tech Eliminator or for badly coppered bores Bore Tech CU+2

Follow the directions on the bottle. The +2 can be left in the bore for storage too.

No smell, no amonia and will not damage bores. I dont mix brands of cleaners, in case I concoct a potion of chemicals that will damage the bore.

Read these reviews for your self.

Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaning Solvent 16 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA

Jeff

I have read a few tests of the different bore solvents. The products that come out on top for copper removal are:

KG12 (not made with ammonia)
Wipe Out with Accelerator

I have been using KG12 for copper and KG1 for carbon. My bores clean up fairly easily now.

Test 1
Test 2
Test 3

Just remember, if you are making the bores squeaky clean, they may need some fouling shots to get back to the sweet spot.

I'm one of those who tends to make his barrels squeaky clean to the metal if I have time. I just don't like storing a rifle with fouling in it at all. I have seen with most of my rifles that it takes 1, sometimes up to 3 shots to get it shooting where it should be. After cleaning and dry patching, I put 2-3 patches saturated with a good gun oil down the tube. Usually it's G96. I love the smell.

I have found no magic in any of them, I use Butchs to wipe out, then a patch on a worn brush with JBs, nothing else comes close. ed

KG 1 for carbon and KG 12 if I need to remove copper! I use Kroil aesol for most everything that needs cleaning.

I really like KG 12, as any tough job I can lube the bore and go to bed. Next morning a large amount of residue. Its an easy wipe out.
No ammonia so won't etch the barrel like the ammonia products can do.

Neal

Have been using Sweets for many years coupled with Iosso Bore Paste----nothing comes close according to my bore scope. Am sure others coupled with paste will get everything out but these along with Butches for the less serious cleaning work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.