Bore scope

I got JB supposed to arrive tomorrow, but been meaning to order some wipeout too...I didnt think that stuff worked on copper though?
Best copper remover I ever tried that is completely bore safe. You can leave it soak for 2 days, or as long as u want, and do no damage to the metal. It is however a little tough on finishes on the stock so don't drop it on there. I use Hoppes 9 as the final patch out to remove the last of the wipeout.

I got JB supposed to arrive tomorrow, but been meaning to order some wipeout too...I didnt think that stuff worked on copper though?
I use JB bore paste in conjunction with Kano Kroil Oil. I will wet the bore with a patch soaked in Kroil Oil and let it set while I perform routine maintenance on my rifles bolt.
I will then use a bronze caliber specific brush and again work the bore at least a dozen strokes from breach to muzzle.Next I found that by using a bore mop one size caliber larger i will cover that mop with a judicious amount of JB Bore Paste and kroil Oil. Typically at least a dozen strokes.I then run a series of dry patches through the bore until i obtain a clean and clear patch. Now I follow that up with a 3 drops of Mobil 1, 5 W 20 weight ( This stuff really works ) and follow that Up with a dry patch. Finally I run my bore scope down and check the rifles lands and grooves as well as any signs of throat erosion. I truly love my kroil Oil. Are there other ways to remove copper fouling, hell ya but this has worked for me. With repeated use of both products your bore cleaning maintenance time can be reduced as much as 80% with a noticeable lack of copper/ lead and powder residue fouling .Good Luck!

I'd be extra careful with JB Paste as it is abrasive. You're polishing, not just cleaning and it could easily go to far. Especially if it's part of the normal routine.

Kroil is great stuff. I keep cans of it all over the place. Much more effective than WD40 but lots more $

I'd be extra careful with JB Paste as it is abrasive. You're polishing, not just cleaning and it could easily go to far. Especially if it's part of the normal routine.

Kroil is great stuff. I keep cans of it all over the place. Much more effective than WD40 but lots more $

More internet legend being spread as truth. JB paste IS a mild abrasive. Put some on a drill or Dremel powered mop and polish the heck out of something. Get back to me after 3 or 4 weeks of continuous polishing and let me know how much metal you have been able to remove. Most tooth paste is as abrasive as JB compound. Hand polishing with JB will never wear down the lands or grooves of any rifle barrel.

Last edited:
More internet legend being spread as truth. JB paste IS a mild abrasive. Put some on a drill or Dremel powered mop and polish the heck out of something. Get back to me after 3 or 4 weeks of continuous polishing and let me know how much metal you have been able to remove. Most tooth paste is as abrasive as JB compound. Hand polishing with JB will never wear down the lands or grooves of any rifle barrel.

Uh, no, not internet legend, at least from me. It is an abrasive, (as you just posted) yes very mild. Some won't even run a brush down their bore, to each their own. I was just posting that it is an abrasive. Time + an abrasive = wear. I'm not going to debate how much or even try to prove anything. 2 weeks and a Dremel would do a lot. Grand Canyon, Arches, etc. is Time (a lot) + water/wind and abrasive.

I have JB Paste and do use it though not as a general cleaner. It's a great tool. Yes a lot of toothpaste is also abrasive.

True, but try running water through you rifle bore and see how many centuries it takes to make any difference.

The long and short of it is, you have to either chemically remove stuff or abrade it away. The dirt and copper build up is FAR more detrimental to accuracy than any wear JB compound or any other cleaning compound will be or do.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.