Bore "range" terminology

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 46119

Looking at the 416/300 WSM thread I realized I really don't understand the terminology of we use to reference "bore" ranges.

What is "small bore"
What is "medium bore"
What is "large bore" or "big bore"
Is there something after that?

Is caliber synonymous with bore when used this way?

When using terminology like "a medium bore, such as a 30-30" is it clearer to include the caliber?

Is something like "a small bore rimfire such as a 17HSM or 17H2 would do the trick" the proper use?

How about "a big bore Africa cartridge like a 375 H&H is the normal round used".

Is 30 cal considered medium bore?

Is a 300RUM or 30/378Wby a medium bore boominloudentsinghin?

In my mind I've always pictured small bore to be .308 caliber and smaller. Medium bore starts at .338. Big bore is .40 and up.

In my mind, I see small bore as .17 to 6mm. Medium bore would be 6.5 to .35 cal. And large bore would be 375 cal and up....

Looking at the 416/300 WSM thread I realized I really don't understand the terminology of we use to reference "bore" ranges.

What is "small bore"
What is "medium bore"
What is "large bore" or "big bore"
Is there something after that?

Is caliber synonymous with bore when used this way?

When using terminology like "a medium bore, such as a 30-30" is it clearer to include the caliber?

Is something like "a small bore rimfire such as a 17HSM or 17H2 would do the trick" the proper use?

How about "a big bore Africa cartridge like a 375 H&H is the normal round used".

Is 30 cal considered medium bore?

Is a 300RUM or 30/378Wby a medium bore boominloudentsinghin?

I think it's a relative term...... But I am more concerned about when did the word "quit"in your sig line get an "e" added to it. Did you buy a vowel and just decided to use it. :D

I think it's a relative term...... But I am more concerned about when did the word "quit"in your sig line get an "e" added to it. Did you buy a vowel and just decided to use it. :D
Probably editing on my phone or tablet....

I don't bore (pun intended) myself on somebody's PC terminology, I just shoot whatever the hell I want safely. :):D:rolleyes::cool:gun)gun)gun)gun)

Happy safe shooting, cheers!
:p

It's not about PC you wanker. :D It about finding the best terminology to put down someone else's rifle because mine is better.gun)

It's great that we can have a tongue in cheek poke.

---------------------------------------

But seriously folks. I guess that is the reason I'm a little confused, it means different things to different people and there is no standard. lightbulb

:p

It's not about PC you wanker. :D It about finding the best terminology to put down someone else's rifle because mine is better.gun)

It's great that we can have a tongue in cheek poke.

---------------------------------------

But seriously folks. I guess that is the reason I'm a little confused, it means different things to different people and there is no standard. lightbulb

L:DL, and I totally agree! :rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.