Dirty bore

Ucsdryder

I've had in issue with pressure in a load that previously didn't have pressure. I picked up a teslong borescope to look for a carbon ring. I cleaned the barrel prior, until the patches came out clean. I ran the patch through and this is what I found. I was surprised how dirty it still was, especially closer to the action! I didn't see any signs of a carbon ring, but that line in the chamber looked odd? Anything that would cause pressure?

I'm using bore tech carbon eliminator, a nylon brush, and a bore guide. Not sure if this will get the job done to clean it up, sure doesn't seem like it!

Here's the video, I forgot to disable volume, so mute your phone/computer so you don't hear scratching noises.

Definitely looks 'dirty'....some oddities down the barrel.....nice black ring at the throat..definitely carbon buildup....
Scrub'r clean....
Good video...bet 90% of 'clean barrels' look just like that.....

Definitely looks 'dirty'....some oddities down the barrel.....nice black ring at the throat..definitely carbon buildup....
Scrub'r clean....
Good video...bet 90% of 'clean barrels' look just like that.....
You think boretech carbon remover will getter done or do I need to upgrade to something with a little more oomphf? I have some sweets 7.62 but prefer not to use anything with ammonia.

I only use this when the going gets tough.
image.jpg

I don't use boretech...or sweets....
Sometimes I shoot carburetor cleaner in there for stubborn spots..scrub it then clean it all out really good...sometimes I take a copper brush in there and scratch that carbon ring out after it's been soaking....but I run my rod in from muzzle..(put the brush on from the receiver end)...then use the back edge of the brush at the neck area(just pull a little tension then twist it around)dont pull it thru the barrel....cleans it good for me...

What caliber? If it was stated, I missed it. Twice. Also, just curious, how many rounds launched?

I like using KG bore polish when nothing else works. Also maybe clean your suppressor. Could be getting dirty causing extra pressure possibly.
Plug 1 end and fill it with CLR overnight. Rinse in hot water. Its amazing how much crud comes out. Some powders are dirtier than others.

That carbon in the barrel is not going to come out easy, and it will take some serious effort.

New bronze bristle brushes are your first line of attack. 60 cycles on a brush, then save it for use later on. Inspect the barrel. Put on a new brush and go at it again with 60 cycles on the brush. Inspect.

Now, if you still have carbon, JB on tight patches using a punch type of jag. Short stroke the patches in the problem areas. I use 5 JB soaked patches. I have had to resort to using the JB on a Iosso or Montana Extreme plastic brush. When the plastic brush gets some wear in it, you can completely load the brush with JB, then scrub back and forth in the carbon build up areas.

If the JB does not work on the plastic brush, Wind some FINE BRONZE wool in the brush, and load the brush with JB, 20 cycles with the brush, wash out barrel and inspect.

If the bronze wool in the brush does not work, then screw on one of the used Bronze bristle brushes and load it with JB and give it 20 Cycles, then inspect.

I like using KG bore polish when nothing else works. Also maybe clean your suppressor. Could be getting dirty causing extra pressure possibly.
Plug 1 end and fill it with CLR overnight. Rinse in hot water. Its amazing how much crud comes out. Some powders are dirtier than others.
2 years ago it was 6am on opening day of first rifle elk season. I got to my perch and went to chamber a round. Nope. Wouldn't chamber. I went through every round I had sour me and finally slammed it shut. That evening I shot a nice bull. When I got home I realized the suppressor was dropping pieces of carbon back down the barrel and into the chamber. A couple pieces got pushed up between the shoulder and action.

I learned my lesson. I don't mess around with a dirty suppressor!

Recent Posts