Bore pics - what is this ?

fiftybmg

I got on the Teslong bandwagon, and got the borescope today.

The rifle is a 1946 model 70 in 375 H&H, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Is this leading, or is it pitting ?

375H&H-1.jpg

375H&H-2.jpg

JKB57

I suppose it could be rust that has been cleaned off by all the stuff you have tried and with that being said most rust looks pitted but have seen some raised on the surface if bad enough

milo-2

It seems to be able to hit what it's aimed at, it's an open sight rifle, the receiver on this model is pre war, so it can't take a scope rail for any kind of accuracy test.
I have to say, that is the worst fouled barrel I have ever seen. My only close comparison is a 1911 barrels, shot with light loads resulting in incomplete burns, and alternating between lead and copper bullets. It took the old RCBS electrolysis cleaning kit to get them clean, and the chunks coming from them looked like plating falling off.

J E Custom

For many years after this rifle was built, corrosive primers were still used and this looks like Pitting from their use.
It could be from negligence, but that would be my opinion based of the uniformity of the defects. Rusting will normally be more random in size and location.

As suggested, soak the bore over night with Boretech and remove all of the copper and then use the bore scope again. Chances are that the same defects will also be on the lands if this is the problem.

J E CUSTOM

milo-2

And if it was mine, I would not let any solvent other than Hoppes # 9 sit in that old of a barrel over night, I'd attack first with Boretech C4, then a non ammonia copper solvent, and keep doing this routine, if indeed you want to clean it. when done neutralize the barrel with Kroil or a light oil, let that stuff sit for awhile.

J E Custom

And if it was mine, I would not let any solvent other than Hoppes # 9 sit in that old of a barrel over night, I'd attack first with Boretech C4, then a non ammonia copper solvent, and keep doing this routine, if indeed you want to clean it. when done neutralize the barrel with Kroil or a light oil, let that stuff sit for awhile.

I totally agree, but Boretech eliminator is one that is safe to leave over night. (One of the only ones)

J E CUSTOM

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce