Bore pics - what is this ?

freddiej

FiftyBMG, I am convinced you need to JB Bore paste that gun. from the reflections and the illumination of the barrel surface on two planes you have lots of carbon build up.. and maybe some lead. you will find that JB will make this barrel look and shoot better.

Weatherby Fan

Heres a picture of the last 2" of a basically new aftermarket barrel with about 100 rounds through it, this was #1 contour 22" SS 6.5-284 barrel, it was a 0.3" shooter that went to 2.0" groups, man I was scratching my head on this one until my gunsmith found this in the last 2" of the barrel.

Its called inclusion or impurities in the metal and will only show up after you shoot it, the company promptly replaced the barrel.

fiftybmg

FiftyBMG, I am convinced you need to JB Bore paste that gun. from the reflections and the illumination of the barrel surface on two planes you have lots of carbon build up.. and maybe some lead. you will find that JB will make this barrel look and shoot better.
Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I am planning to do some lapping on it.

I'm leaning towards the Tubb Final Finish kit in .375.

Work in progress.

Bob Wright

If it is rust pits,or caustic fouling,you are probably not going to hurt it by going after it aggressively. But...go as you feel comfortable with. I feel that Wipe Out will give you gentle results,and actually leaves a rust preventative coating behind. I believe that the Bore Tech products are similar. From the looks of it,you are either going to have to get aggressive, or spend weeks and weeks cleaning. I would like to follow along with your borescope,as I think most here would. Good luck!
Have excellent results with Accelerator and Wipeout.

Bob Wright

Heres a picture of the last 2" of a basically new aftermarket barrel with about 100 rounds through it, this was #1 contour 22" SS 6.5-284 barrel, it was a 0.3" shooter that went to 2.0" groups, man I was scratching my head on this one until my gunsmith found this in the last 2" of the barrel.

Its called inclusion or impurities in the metal and will only show up after you shoot it, the company promptly replaced the barrel.

Glad you replaced it. Dirty steel (inclusions) is a time bomb, let alone an accuracy issue. Barrel steel should never have that condition.

LDHunter

As suggested, soak the bore over night with Boretech and remove all of the copper and then use the bore scope again. Chances are that the same defects will also be on the lands if this is the problem.
J E CUSTOM
Are you talking about Boretech Eliminator or Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover?

LDHunter

OK.... I was just throwing together a Midway order and although the only copper solvent I've ever trusted was Hoppe's Number 9, it's slow but thorough. I'll try some of the Eliminator.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce