Bore pics - what is this ?

fiftybmg

I got on the Teslong bandwagon, and got the borescope today.

The rifle is a 1946 model 70 in 375 H&H, and I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

Is this leading, or is it pitting ?

375H&H-1.jpg

375H&H-2.jpg

The fouling is from brass monos, that is recent.

Whatever is in there is old. I've tried all the bore cleaners, solvents, paste, and even brass pot scourer on a wire brush. The pile of patches was about six inches high.

Could it be rust ?

I suppose it could be rust that has been cleaned off by all the stuff you have tried and with that being said most rust looks pitted but have seen some raised on the surface if bad enough

It seems to be able to hit what it's aimed at, it's an open sight rifle, the receiver on this model is pre war, so it can't take a scope rail for any kind of accuracy test.
I have to say, that is the worst fouled barrel I have ever seen. My only close comparison is a 1911 barrels, shot with light loads resulting in incomplete burns, and alternating between lead and copper bullets. It took the old RCBS electrolysis cleaning kit to get them clean, and the chunks coming from them looked like plating falling off.

For many years after this rifle was built, corrosive primers were still used and this looks like Pitting from their use.
It could be from negligence, but that would be my opinion based of the uniformity of the defects. Rusting will normally be more random in size and location.

As suggested, soak the bore over night with Boretech and remove all of the copper and then use the bore scope again. Chances are that the same defects will also be on the lands if this is the problem.

J E CUSTOM

And if it was mine, I would not let any solvent other than Hoppes # 9 sit in that old of a barrel over night, I'd attack first with Boretech C4, then a non ammonia copper solvent, and keep doing this routine, if indeed you want to clean it. when done neutralize the barrel with Kroil or a light oil, let that stuff sit for awhile.

And if it was mine, I would not let any solvent other than Hoppes # 9 sit in that old of a barrel over night, I'd attack first with Boretech C4, then a non ammonia copper solvent, and keep doing this routine, if indeed you want to clean it. when done neutralize the barrel with Kroil or a light oil, let that stuff sit for awhile.

I totally agree, but Boretech eliminator is one that is safe to leave over night. (One of the only ones)

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.