Bone to pick with new rifle owners - 100 yards out of the box

A former co-worker had mounted a scope on his son's bolt rifle. Trouble was he had put it in the rings rotated 90 degrees.

When I told him to just use his elevation turret for windage and the windage turret for elevation he literally thought they should still work as designed.

I agree wholeheartedly that the step from 500 to 600 is where you start separating the wheat from the chaff.
Strangely enough, 400 and 500 is where I struggle the most. Probably due to the fact that I shot 600 a lot at the club where I was formerly a member. 6,7, and 800i do okay. 900-950 is sketchy, and I'm back on at a thousand. I've been practicing 1000 more lately. If I hadn't put too much faith in my kestrel (still learning that as well) I'd have likely cold bored a 12x20 target at 1000.

Kestrel said 2.43moa for wind and I felt like that was a little much. I was right.
I too have watched a guy at the range with a brand new Christian Arms rifle right out of the box. He started shooting at a 10" gong at 340 meters. His buddy was spotting for him. after missing with a complete box of ammo, he was getting hot under the collar. I made it worse when I pulled out a Contender with a 10" barrel and hit the target. His buddy told him someone just hit the gong and he wanted to know who. I shot again and hit. He slammed his rifle back in the box and left. To be fair I shoot at this range almost every weekend from Fall until Spring and know the holdover for that gong with that pistol. Trigger time, trigger time and trigger time.
At the range where I was formerly a member, I kind of did the same thing to a guy shooting a 6.5creed.

Homie had been down the line wearing the 100 yard target out and I was setting up on the 350 yard gong with my 22. It's a vudoo so it looks like a full size rifle. Homie on the 100 yard line is watching intently.

I break the first shot, spot the hit on the freshly painted target, and homie can't take it anymore. Here he comes. Sets up right next to me and starts banging away. 10 shots later he busts out the phone and gets into his 4dof app. Still can't hit nothing.

I started talking to him and come to find out, he's using velocity off the box. I offered the use of my chronograph and after getting a good read on velocity he got it lined out. He then inqures about my rifle and how quiet it was. It wasn't even suppressed. He almost seemed offended when I told him it was a 22.
Has anyone had someone ask you to sight in their rifle for him?Had a guy I worked with ask that.
When you try to help them understand why THEY needed to sight their own rifle in and the final question is,"Will this Saturday be ok"?
Didn't hear a word!
A good friend of mine I hunt and shoot with on a regular basis always wants me to shoot his rifles. Seems like he's always battling poi shifts and he always asks me to shoot them to verify their still on. I keep telling him he needs to shoot them, not me, so he can become more familiar with his rifles and what makes them work for him. You just gotta shoot.
Just read this entire thread! I must agree, some of the things I've seen truly amaze me. I have a part time gig gunsmithing at a little shop. We do mostly repair work, occasionally we get a customer that really has no business with a firearm of any kind. We had a fellow come in a while back (probably 40 years old) with a brand new Savage his mother bought him at a nearby big box store. His complaint was the gun wouldn't fire and he couldn't return it. My first question, what cartridge? His reply six five, me, six five what, him, dumb look (?) I then explained that there were many 6.5 caliber cartridges, his was of course the 6.5 Creedmoor. He had gone to the range with his buddy and not being able to find any ammo he was just using his friends ammo. The shop owner took the rifle back to the test chamber, boom, I looked at the guy and said "it's fixed, that will be 50 bucks" . As it turned out his buddy was shooting an AR chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I suspect the rifle ended up stuck in the back of a closet or sold for a song.
This seems to be the mentality of most "six five" guys I run into. For this reason alone I avoid the "six five" like the plague. Don't want to find myself lumped into that crowd.

Years ago I worked in a store with a small firearms selection. I mounted and bore sighted scopes. I had done a combo for a customer and explained that he would have to finish sighting in the rifle himself. He came back a month or so after and thanked me for doing such a good job as he got his elk with one shot. Turns out he had not shot the rifle until the elk came into sight. I tried telling him how lucky he was and why. I don't think he ever did understand what I was talking about. Pure blind luck !!!!!
I'll take luck any day because being and staying good takes some hard work.

Strangely enough, 400 and 500 is where I struggle the most. Probably due to the fact that I shot 600 a lot at the club where I was formerly a member. 6,7, and 800i do okay. 900-950 is sketchy, and I'm back on at a thousand. I've been practicing 1000 more lately. If I hadn't put too much faith in my kestrel (still learning that as well) I'd have likely cold bored a 12x20 target at 1000.

Kestrel said 2.43moa for wind and I felt like that was a little much. I was right.

At the range where I was formerly a member, I kind of did the same thing to a guy shooting a 6.5creed.

Homie had been down the line wearing the 100 yard target out and I was setting up on the 350 yard gong with my 22. It's a vudoo so it looks like a full size rifle. Homie on the 100 yard line is watching intently.

I break the first shot, spot the hit on the freshly painted target, and homie can't take it anymore. Here he comes. Sets up right next to me and starts banging away. 10 shots later he busts out the phone and gets into his 4dof app. Still can't hit nothing.

I started talking to him and come to find out, he's using velocity off the box. I offered the use of my chronograph and after getting a good read on velocity he got it lined out. He then inqures about my rifle and how quiet it was. It wasn't even suppressed. He almost seemed offended when I told him it was a 22.

A good friend of mine I hunt and shoot with on a regular basis always wants me to shoot his rifles. Seems like he's always battling poi shifts and he always asks me to shoot them to verify their still on. I keep telling him he needs to shoot them, not me, so he can become more familiar with his rifles and what makes them work for him. You just gotta shoot.

This seems to be the mentality of most "six five" guys I run into. For this reason alone I avoid the "six five" like the plague. Don't want to find myself lumped into that crowd.
Not all guys fall into "that crowd." I picked up a 6.5-284 because of the reduced recoil and the performance, especially the 300-500 range. With the right load and proper bullets, it makes a wonderful deer rifle.

It's common in Europe to be required to take a proficiency test to qualify in shooting before you're given a permit or license. It makes perfect sense; this could be handled by local police, sheriff or even through local gun clubs. It would remove the bottom 10%, the ones that show up at camp with a new, never fired rifle that's only been bore sighted. Shooting past 300 yards takes practice and knowledge of your ballistics; hell these shooters have no idea how to compensate for wind drift.

It would remove far more than 10%, here in PA a lot of our hunters are what would be considered social hunters. They hunt as part of a group but it's more about time spent with the group rather than actually hunting. Many of the ones we had dropped out over the years but there are a few that still hunt. That type of test would immediately be a non-starter for them even if they could pass it as they don't want to take the extra time to do it.

Additionally on top of that who gets to dictate the test and how difficult would it be? It wouldn't be hard it incrementally increase the difficulty to make it extremely difficult to qualify and get a hunting license. And then does it need to be a yearly test? One for every license? One for all types of arms or one different one for rifle, bow, shotgun and muzzleloader? See how it could easily spiral if allowed?

I will admit I am a relatively poor offhand shot, or at least I think I am, so I brace myself for almost every shot I take at game regardless of how close it is. A moderately small offhand target with a time limit would wash out a substantially large portion of shooters possibly myself included.

I don't know if you're an outfitter or not but I would hope you would tell your clients no to show up if they haven't sighted there Guns into 200 yards.

When I did the only guided hunt I've been on the guide required we check the rifles prior to the hunt to ensure they didn't get bumped on the plane. This also had the dual purpose of showing how proficient the hunter handled their firearms. He said he has had clients previously that he had to show how to load their rifle just prior to the hunt.

I was apparently more worried about it than he was as he told me my first shot was fine but I wasn't happy and tweaked my zero shooting three more times with my main rifle to get it where I wanted it.

I'm retired,but work part time at a LGS. You absolutely can not believe the people that come through there.
That works two ways . I heard a salesman at a local gunshop tell a customer if he bought a 30-06 he could always use 308 Win as a back up if 30-06 ammo was not available. Said it was akin to shooting 38 Specials in a 357 Mag . I told him nope,that is not true .

That works two ways . I heard a salesman at a local gunshop tell a customer if he bought a 30-06 he could always use 308 Win as a back up if 30-06 ammo was not available. Said it was akin to shooting 38 Specials in a 357 Mag . I told him nope,that is not true .
Sounds like someone that needs to look at a new career.