Bolt Action 50 Alaskan with 750gr A-Max ?

375rifleman

Hello I was just inquiring if a Bolt Action Rifle could be chambered in 50 Alaskan with a 750gr A-Max? A Lee Enfield would be neat. There are very few bolt action rifles that could work with a rimmed cartridge like the 348 Winchester / 50 Alaskan. The ones that I can think of are the Lee Enfield, Siamese Mauser, Mosin Nagant, please add more that I missed or correct me for any mistakes / misinformation. Could / Would a CZ 550 ? I think that the other Mauser Rifles didn't use rimmed cartridges like the 1903 Springfield. Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, or answers.

Regards

Seriously doubt it. That .610" rim diameter is going to be rough to accommodate outside of a .338LM size action. Even .338's are only .585" bolt face. If you can find anything chambered for stuff like the old 8x50R Lebel you might have better luck. Big rims ain't so common anymore.

Thanks BallisticsGuy. I was under the impression that Lee Enfield rifles would not work without a complete redesign, same with the Siamese Mauser or even a Mosin Nagant even though I know of a few 45-70 Enfields, Siamese Mausers, and Mosin Nagant (Although I think that the Mosin was almost single feed only). 45-70 .608 rim diameter, 348 Winchester/50 Alaskan .610 rim diameter. The closest thing I could find was a CZ 550 which can be chambered in 505 Gibbs rim diameter .640 . So actually a 45-70 has a closer rim size to the 348Win/50AK only .02 hundredths smaller than a 505 Gibbs .30 larger than a 348Win/50AK, and I know that Enfields, Siamese Mausers, and a Mosin (or 2) have been rechambered in 45-70 so it should be possible if all else fails I could step up to the CZ 550.

Regards

The Arisaka used a rimmed cartridge to bad it was a significantly smaller rimmed cartridge6.5x50R which only has a rim diameter of .466. Since the Arisakas were renowned for the actions strength as well as being a COC operation like the enfields. I have read that Shaw Barrels also had the ability to rebarrel Arisakas. I wonder if an Arisaka could be opened up enough to chamber the much larger 348Win/50AK?

Regards

There have been a few built on a bolt gun, but good luck finding someone to do it. I looked into this and ran into nothing but dead ends. You are better off going with SSK and the TC rifle/pistol.

That would make a lot of sense as a TC Encore can be chambered in almost anything. I was also thinking about using an EABCO M-4 stock adapter with a AR-15 Law Tactical Folding Stock Mechanism and a 16"-17" 1 in 6 -1 in 8 twist Barrel. For portability just didn't want to need an SBR tax stamp

You could keep a lookout for one of the Gibbs Summit rifles. They're not common but it's an SMLE converted to 45-70 so most of the leg work should be done for you. Otherwise a Siamese Mauser should be workable with only .002" difference in rim diameter.

I actually had one...it was built on a simese Mauser we did not shoot 750s in it--but did have a bore of .510..we shot 450 grain slugs and 500 grain slugs out of it...it was brisk--I don't remember who I sold it to--it had a 22 in barrel and a pretty stock if I remember

Thanks therifleman556 and Aoudad shooter1975, I will be sure to look into the Gibbs Summit Rifles. I just was under the impression that Gibbs Summit Rifles were out of production. How often do these rifles show up for sale? I was looking at a 348Win/50AK 750gr A-Max at 1500fps-1700fps.

Regards

They are out of production, but one pops up on GunBroker from time to time. At the very least it gives you a template to work from. The turn off for me was the fact their reworked magazines only held like 3 or 4 rounds. I personally favored the smelly for it's 10 round capacity and stripper clip loading.

Thanks for your input therifleman556. So I basically would just need to find one and then rebarrel it seems relatively simple. I'm also confident that a 10 magazine/stripper clip could be modified/made to work. Also when they do pop up what do they normally run price wise ?

Regards

If I remember correctly, the last one I saw sold for about $600 give or take. Navy Arms sold one too from the looks of it, but wether they built them or sold the Gibbs rifles I cannot say.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.