50 Alaskan

I had another thought, you might call or email the Kenai, Ak... Snowshoe Gun Club
President – Bob Seymour, (907)283-3315 just thinking the .50 Alaskan was invented by a couple of guys out of the Kenai Peninsula they might be able to lead to some really good sources.
Good luck

You may find something in an older copy of Barnes "Cartridges of the World" or P.O. Ackley's books.
I just check through all three of A.O's reloading manuals there's nothing there, he does have the .450 Alaskan but no .50... ****! I thought it might be there as well, I checked all four of my Barnes manuals they don't have it either.

I just check through all three of A.O's reloading manuals there's nothing there, he does have the .450 Alaskan but no .50... ****! I thought it might be there as well, I checked all four of my Barnes manuals they don't have it either.
Look at the WiKi I posted early on. It shows load information

Last edited:
Look at the WiKi I posted early on. It shows load information
You know that got me to thinking that I'd see something years back in one of many, and I mean many reloading manuals and sure enough I took one of my Swift manuals down, number two on page 420 they have quite a bit of reloading information on the .50 Alaskan with a 0.509" bullet(s) Cheers

Last edited:
I have a gun that originally was a Marlin guide gun, in 45-70. It was shipped to a Smith and bored out to end up being a 50 Alaskan. Looking to try reloading for it but not sure about the bullet diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.
I probably should have sent this to you first, here you go in case you missed it. As always good luck.
"You know that got me to thinking that I'd see something years back in one of many, and I mean many reloading manuals and sure enough I took one of my Swift manuals down, number two on page 420 they have quite a bit of reloading information on the .50 Alaskan with a 0.509" bullet(s) Cheers"

Last edited:
I had another thought, you might call or email the Kenai, Ak... Snowshoe Gun Club
President – Bob Seymour, (907)283-3315 just thinking the .50 Alaskan was invented by a couple of guys out of the Kenai Peninsula they might be able to lead to some really good sources.
Good luck
The 50 Alaskan was made by a Doctor in Coopers Landing AK.

The 50 Alaskan was made by a Doctor in Coopers Landing AK.
Interesting.... the other story is;
"The .50 Alaskan is a wildcat cartridge developed by Harold Johnson and Harold Fuller of the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska in the 1950s. Johnson based the cartridge on the .348 Winchester in order to create a rifle capable of handling the large bears in Alaska."
Swift Bullet Company manual write-up of the cartridge seems to go along with the aforementioned as well. I've always heard the same thing over the years, with Barnes being the one that designed the bullet.
I'm sure it's not impossible for two ideas to happen at the same time in two different unrelated locations, and when it comes from Wikipedia who knows what the real story is, I find must their facts hilariously funny and far from correct, truth isn't something they do well.
But, as I said; the above is the story I've heard for over 50 plus years on the cartridge. Cheers.

Interesting.... the other story is;
"The .50 Alaskan is a wildcat cartridge developed by Harold Johnson and Harold Fuller of the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska in the 1950s. Johnson based the cartridge on the .348 Winchester in order to create a rifle capable of handling the large bears in Alaska."
Swift Bullet Company manual write-up of the cartridge seems to go along with the aforementioned as well. I've always heard the same thing over the years, with Barnes being the one that designed the bullet.
I'm sure it's not impossible for two ideas to happen at the same time in two different unrelated locations, and when it comes from Wikipedia who knows what the real story is, I find must their facts hilariously funny and far from correct, truth isn't something they do well.
But, as I said; the above is the story I've heard for over 50 plus years on the cartridge. Cheers.
The Doctor used the 348 case this is true BUT He made his bullets by chopping off 50 caliber military rounds , making them short enough to cycle through his levergun . Barnes may be trying to steal someone's glory

The Doctor used the 348 case this is true BUT He made his bullets by chopping off 50 caliber military rounds , making them short enough to cycle through his levergun . Barnes may be trying to steal someone's glory
Well, I guess you have to go with the story we've been given over the years. It's a moot point now anyway I think they've all moved on to the big cartridge company in the sky 😇
But! just for fun'..., I know that Cooper did work with Johnson the .450 Alaskan

"In 1952, Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing, Alaska, wildcatted the 348 Winchester by necking it up to 458, then straightening the case walls by fireforming. He called his wildcat the 450 Alaskan and chambered Winchester Model 71 rifles for it."

And that Barnes seemed to be involved in that one as well.

"Bill Fuller made the reamers. John Buhmiller made the barrel. Frankl Barnes made the bullets, which were .032" jackets for Alaska and .049" jackets for Africa. These 400 grainers were loaded to 2100 fps at 3937 ft-lbs."

However, in the end, I'm just repeating what others have said or are saying, nevertheless that's what makes shooting and ballistic fun. Cheers

I have a gun that originally was a Marlin guide gun, in 45-70. It was shipped to a Smith and bored out to end up being a 50 Alaskan. Looking to try reloading for it but not sure about the bullet diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.
Check a book called "big bore rifles and cartridges", it has several articles on the Alaskan cartridges from .416 to the. 50.