short action with a Lapua bolt face

yorke-1

Is there anybody out there making a single shot, short action with a Lapua bolt face? I'm going to reach out to some of the custom makers and see what they can offer, but I thought I'd ask here and see if anybody knows of one off the top of their head.

I'm thinking of a specialty pistol project off of a Lapua case and short actions work best in this type of application.

Andrew

What about a savage target action and just change the bolt head to lapua? I was thinking about building one into a 30-338 lapua or 300 norma but scarpped that project. They are also a large shank and will handle the lapua just fine. Just so happens I have one for sale right now in a HS stock. Just saying. :)

I'm a big fan of the savage target actions (I have 3) but they were never intended to run a Lapua sized case. The savage Lapua actions go through a different heat treat process to improve strength. I have a wildcat 375/404 improved that I run on a target action and that's about as far as I'll go. I have the same opinion of the Remington actions. There are an awful lot of smiths smarter than I am who don't recommend Lapua case heads on Savage or Remington actions. Just too much bolt thrust for the relatively small bolt body diameter is what I've been told.

I'll need to check out the Panda action.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.