Body Die or FL Die - Preference and Why?

Muddyboots

OK, this has been an ongoing mind battle for myself and so far none of me is winning or is it whining?

I've been changing out die sets last few years and I have been thinking of switching over to using a body die with neck bushing die. So my internal battle is over "what am I gaining if I go that route versus using a FL die?"

So if someone can shed some more light on this, I would appreciate it. I am almost 70 so have teflon skin and stopped bruising many years ago.

Not gaining anything. Just use a full length bushing die. No need to size the body and neck in a separate operation. Bushings allow you to choose an appropriate size so you don't overwork the brass like with a conventional full length die. Another option is a Forster full length die with the neck honed by them to the appropriate diameter. Still another good option is a body die with a Lee Collet die.

John

Body dies were made for guys who neck size and need to occasionally push a shoulder back to get brass to fit again. Just use the full length die Everytime. The Forster dies that they home for you are great. But a Redding s die allows you to change neck tensions. I had a body die and a neck die for my 280ai. Twice as much work because you end up running them twice. Got a full length s die pretty quick for that one. I use full length bushing dies on everything.

Shep

OK, this has been an ongoing mind battle for myself and so far none of me is winning or is it whining?

I've been changing out die sets last few years and I have been thinking of switching over to using a body die with neck bushing die. So my internal battle is over "what am I gaining if I go that route versus using a FL die?"

So if someone can shed some more light on this, I would appreciate it. I am almost 70 so have teflon skin and stopped bruising many years ago.

A body die is a FL die without the neck section.

If you need to FL, it might be easier to get a FL bushing die, cuz then you can do both body size and FL/neck size.

I use body dies to size loaded ammuntion.

Not gaining anything. Just use a full length bushing die. No need to size the body and neck in a separate operation. Bushings allow you to choose an appropriate size so you don't overwork the brass like with a conventional full length die. Another option is a Forster full length die with the neck honed by them to the appropriate diameter. Still another good option is a body die with a Lee Collet die.

John
I use the Lee Collet and Body die on everything I load for

The Lee collet neck sizer by virtue of design induces zero runout.

That makes it my first choice over any other neck sizing option or system available.

The body die is it's natural companion.

I have a couple of calibers for which the collet neck sizer is not available, neither is the body die. A good polish on the expander with 1200 grit and a fine oil smooths the neck sizing noticeably.

Whatever die system you choose, Imperial Dry Neck lube will go well with it.

Not to be rude but why do you need to size loaded ammo.
Shep

That is not rude.

I ran a ballistic research lab here in CT for 8 years...

Bizcard-2_zpssbcpel9y.jpg

... and consulted to several small ammunition reloaders.

... a third company called me about two 55 gallon drums of 223 (almost a TON) that were returned by Stag Arms, that would not chamber - they argued about whose fault it was, but when I was called in, they had two kids pulling the bullets on Rock Chuckers to salvage the components.

The ammunition was too long in the shoulder, and it took a day going through their loading machines to find the problem... anyway, at the rate that the kids were going, it would cost ~$11,000 in labor to pull the ammo down.

So I bought two Redding .223 body dies. We made a large lubing pad out of felt in a wooden frame, and bought 3 gallons of RCBS-II water based case lube. We hired a girl to lube the cases in bulk - took the two kids 3 weeks to FL size the whole 110 gallons of 223.

Stag Arms was so angry that they canceled the contract. I bought the company and turned out ammo for 4 more years.

I sold the ammunition in bulk bags.

J-Baggedandreadytoship.jpg

How far did you need to move the shoulder. 110 gallons worth. Sounds funny. I took a pint to the range the other day. They said no alcohol. I said a pint of ammo.😁

Still another good option is a body die with a Lee Collet die.
Deprime on an older press to keep loading press clean. I favor a Forster FL sizer die with the spindle and neck button removed followed by neck sizing with a Lee collet die for no runout. Then bullet seat with a Forster seater with sleeve and rotating the cartridge 180 degree's while seating to keep any induced runout to bare minimum.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.